Zero Clearance Outside Air Kit for FP30 - how hot does it get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

terrapin22

Aug 19, 2019
ohio
I recently had a zero clearance fireplace installed, the Pacific Energy FP30 Arch, and requested an outside air kit be installed. The installer used an insulated flex pipe to the fireplace, but the flexible pipe appears to be of a polyester material instead of metal - similar to the one in this link: https://www.osburnwoodstoves.com/AC..._FRESH_AIR_INTAKE_p/ac02091-flexible-pipe.htm

I questioned him about it melting or being a hazard, and he said it would be fine & that the part of the fireplace it connects to doesn't get that hot. Should I be concerned about this? The insulated pipe appears to be designed for a fireplace (I can try to add a picture of it). How hot would the OAK intake connection to the FP30 get? Should this flex be replaced with a metal one or am I ok to leave it as is? The installation manual for the fireplace just recomends using 'insulated flex when being installed in cold climates' but doesn't specify which kind of flex to be used.

Thanks for any insight on this!

Not familiar with the stove, but an OAK intake shouldn't get hot.

The OAK intake should be insulated because when it is pulling 30 degree air into an 80 degree room, a lot of water will condense on the intake if it's not insulated.

If you're not comfortable with it, burn the stove without the OAK and see how hot the intake gets.

This is a ZC fireplace. Although PE has not specified using metal duct for the oak, most others like RSF, Kozy, Regency & Northstar/Quadrafire require metal for the outside air intake duct.

Last edited: