Is it okay to use a wood stove with a broken baffle plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skintigh

Nov 10, 2017
Boston
Is it okay to use a wood stove fireplace insert (Clydesdale) with a broken baffle plate for a few days? I assume it will be less efficient, but is there anything that could go very wrong? Asking for a friend...

Depends on how bad the break is. If there a hole right thru it, you might be sending fire directly onto the top soapstones. Not sure that's a real good idea. If it's cracked & the pieces can be pushed back together, I'd say go for it. Your "friend" got any pix of the baffle condition?

My friend's baffle

Attachments

• Is it okay to use a wood stove with a broken baffle plate?
    20171110_172723.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,369
If a new one is on it's way, patch it up with some furnace cement and burn away.

Reactions: Bigger_Al
I have a fairly large hole in my baffle. Is it easy to replace? I've been burning wood since I was a kid, but never had to change one. My woodstove is approx. 13 years old. I have also considered replacing it with a Pacific Energy Super 27. Any thoughts out there which would be best? Replace baffle and carry on or replace stove with a very efficient wood heater??
Cheers,
Luke

Luke, usually it isn't too hard. What stove make and model?

If a new one is on it's way, patch it up with some furnace cement and burn away.

That’s what I’ve done last year and it’s still holding
Is it okay to use a wood stove with a broken baffle plate?
and working fine. I have a Superwool baffle board from Lynn Manufacturing waiting to go when the broken/repaired fiber board one gets used up. Apparently it’s going to be a while though.

Luke, usually it isn't too hard. What stove make and model?

I appreciate your reply. I've attached 4 pictures. Hard to decipher. I was researching it last night and it looks like it might be a model S127?? Not for certain.

Attachments

20181118_124959.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 456
    20181118_124953.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 376
    20181118_125002.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 510
    20181128_230949.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 527