Buy local vs online?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acordeon

Nov 20, 2019
Puget Sound, WA
Hi, do most folks buy stoves online, or at local dealers?

We're in the market for a new insert. We live in Bellingham, WA, which has this venerable institution: https://chimneysweeponline.com/ but not sure how much of a showroom they have these days. There's one other retailer in town. Between the 2 shops they sell only maybe 5 or 6 brands. Then some HVAC contractors also sell/install stoves, but I think that would probably be an expensive way to go.

We have spoken to a local sweep who can do an install. Given that, what are the pros/cons of buying from a local dealer vs online. And anyone got good online retailers to recommend?

Thanks much!

With the exception of Woodstock, I don't think there are any premium brands of woodstove that sell online. Most or all of them rely on a local dealer or retailer network.

You'd do best to describe your house and your goals, there are many here who can steer you in the right direction, from there.

maybe best bet is to buy lightly used and have sweep install if necessary

Is there a certain brand you want that isn't stocked by your local dealers?
Craft Stove on Mt. Vernon lists quite a few brands on their website.

Hi, do most folks buy stoves online, or at local dealers?

We're in the market for a new insert. We live in Bellingham, WA, which has this venerable institution: https://chimneysweeponline.com/ but not sure how much of a showroom they have these days. There's one other retailer in town. Between the 2 shops they sell only maybe 5 or 6 brands. Then some HVAC contractors also sell/install stoves, but I think that would probably be an expensive way to go.

We have spoken to a local sweep who can do an install. Given that, what are the pros/cons of buying from a local dealer vs online. And anyone got good online retailers to recommend?

Thanks much!
What is the goal? If you are trying to save money and go with the least expensive option then online or a big box store stove will be the least expensive. Stove shops that are going to stick around have a lot of expenses to pay and generally want to sell a product they can stand behind and service. That doesn't mean there aren't some decent online options, like Drolet and Englander, but you will be dealing with the company for parts or service and have to arrange your own installation.

What size insert are you looking for?

Buy local for larger ticket items. The people working for them are your neighbors one way or another. Local small retailers are the backbone to your community who help sponsor the local events you and your families and friends.
This obviously does not work if the local whatever shop has a bad reputation or history.

As much as I like to support local businesses I also have a tight budget. I just bought my first wood stove (insert) today online. Why? Well, the price was $1500 less than at my local store. I can see a $300 difference, maybe even $500, but when it’s this high I have to leave the in store purchases to those with more discretionary income. Fortunately where I live there’s plenty of these folks.
Unfortunately I feel these huge price discrepancies are becoming more common rather than less. At a certain point technology wins the day by cutting costs dramatically.
It also depends on how independent you are. I know how to use my tools. I educated myself on these inserts for days. Compared models for days. Etc. I don’t need to talk to a salesman who at this point may very well know less than I do. My time is worth something; I did the leg work and will be doing the install, so I have no need for a local store to help me. My $1500 savings and the additional $2000 I’ll save on install, liner, other parts, etc, is my pay for getting out there and doing it all.
For you that may look different and that’s fine too.
Cheers

I spent more to get exactly what I wanted and have it installed by the brick and mortar retailer. Thinking about the extra cost over the lifetime of the stove it might be less than 100$ a year. If you can get exactly what you want cheaper online and you can get it installed that seems like the way to go. That wasn’t an option I had.
I am looking to buy online and install an insert my self soon. I’m not picky about this one. Price is really good.

Evan

It is best if you can buy from the local shop. You can negotiate with these guys, just like buying a car.
My shop in Asheville NC wanted $2800 for my Jotul Oslo. I talked them down to $2500, it took me about one minute to do so.

Reactions: contramundum
1500 is a rather large spread so I would have asked why. My insert was cash so got a great break there plus the shop didn't charge sales tax so a win win. Bought other items from them as well over the years. More winning.
I'm not going up a pair of 12:12 roofs to get to the chimney so the local guy up here installed the liner and stove again for a discount by paying cash. He was also doing the sweeping but has left the area. I found another local guy who sweeps. I couldn't be here but he worked around a friends schedule who let him into the house. He also sprayed on some masonry waterproofing I got at a stone yard down home. I couldn't pay him in person but he got his check in 2 days and was very happy. Learned he also does roofing and has some great local references and prices.

Last edited:
As much as I like to support local businesses I also have a tight budget. I just bought my first wood stove (insert) today online. Why? Well, the price was $1500 less than at my local store. I can see a $300 difference, maybe even $500, but when it’s this high I have to leave the in store purchases to those with more discretionary income. Fortunately where I live there’s plenty of these folks.
Unfortunately I feel these huge price discrepancies are becoming more common rather than less. At a certain point technology wins the day by cutting costs dramatically.
It also depends on how independent you are. I know how to use my tools. I educated myself on these inserts for days. Compared models for days. Etc. I don’t need to talk to a salesman who at this point may very well know less than I do. My time is worth something; I did the leg work and will be doing the install, so I have no need for a local store to help me. My $1500 savings and the additional $2000 I’ll save on install, liner, other parts, etc, is my pay for getting out there and doing it all.
For you that may look different and that’s fine too.
Cheers
Is that a $1500 difference for the same stove?

Some people need a dealer to hold their hand and gladly pay the extra 1500$ “up front” for that service. After getting the extra 1500$ the dealer often ignores them. If you need that after sale service and think you’re going to get it by spending all of the extra money on purchase then you need some sort of assurance up front.

I think it’s a scam. If I want service I should pay for that labor. If I want to buy a stove I want the stove at the lowest price possible. Different vendors or not.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Some people need a dealer to hold their hand and gladly pay the extra 1500$ for that service. After getting the extra 1500$ the dealer often ignores them. If you need that after sale service and think you’re going to get it by spending all of the extra money on purchase then you need some sort of assurance up front.

I think it’s a scam. If I want service I should pay for that labor. If I want to buy a stove I want the stove at the lowest price possible. Different vendors or not.
A stove should absolutely never cost anywhere near $1500 more just because it is from a stove shop. If this poster got the exact same stove for that much less there has to be more to the story

Reactions: Ashful and Highbeam
A stove should absolutely never cost anywhere near $1500 more just because it is from a stove shop. If this poster got the exact same stove for that much less there has to be more to the story

That is a huge upcharge! Highway robbery if it is the same product. Also, the online stove would be dropped on the doorstep or at a shipping terminal and perhaps the dealer product is delivered to the hearth?

Let’s compare apples to apples to be fair to the dealer. I don’t think anyone is responsible for giving him a profit or paying for his overhead when purchasing a boxed product.

There are dealers on this forum. There are customers that really need that extra dealer service and are willing to pay for it through higher purchase price. Some dealers are crooked and some really are worth the up charge if given the chance.

Reactions: bholler
As much as I like to support local businesses I also have a tight budget. I just bought my first wood stove (insert) today online. Why? Well, the price was $1500 less than at my local store. I can see a $300 difference, maybe even $500, but when it’s this high I have to leave the in store purchases to those with more discretionary income.
What stove make/model was this? Did you buy the same stove model that the dealer provided the quote for? Did the online price include shipping and delivery in the house?

I think from another thread it was an Enviro Boston Insert being sold at a discount since it doesn’t meet 2020 standards. We just picked up a Kodiak (literally picked it up from a dealer, though it wasn’t local) on a great sale. I don’t think the situation described shows that the stove store was upcharging or committing highway robbery. It’s just that contramundum was able to find a great sale from another dealer who’s getting rid of Enviro wood stoves.

What stove make/model was this? Did you buy the same stove model that the dealer provided the quote for? Did the online price include shipping and delivery in the house?
Hi BeGreen, that was me.
I should dial myself in; the difference after actually looking at it closer rather than shooting from the hip is about $1250 rather than $1500, though that hardly changes the point.
Enviro Boston 1700. $3300 at my local store that would charge another 7% tax which brings us to roughly $3550. I bought it online for $2288 shipped. Saved gas and time too if you want to count that.
I'm pretty sure stores around here would charge extra for delivery. Definitely for install in my hearth.
And DuaeGuttae is correct (as I type this), the online price was 10% off because of them apparently cutting it from stock. Even without that, still about $1000 less before any add ons.

Last edited:
I think from another thread it was an Enviro Boston Insert being sold at a discount since it doesn’t meet 2020 standards. We just picked up a Kodiak (literally picked it up from a dealer, though it wasn’t local) on a great sale. I don’t think the situation described shows that the stove store was upcharging or committing highway robbery. It’s just that contramundum was able to find a great sale from another dealer who’s getting rid of Enviro wood stoves.
May I ask what you got it for? 1700 or 1200? I have a neighbor who's mulling a stove too and was thinking the Kodiak would be up his alley.

Hi BeGreen, that was me.
I should dial myself in; the difference after actually looking at it closer rather than shooting from the hip is about $1250 rather than $1500, though that hardly changes the point.
Enviro Boston 1700. $3300 at my local store that would charge another 7% tax which brings us to roughly $3550. I bought it online for $2288 shipped. Saved gas and time too if you want to count that.
I'm pretty sure stores around here would charge extra for delivery. Definitely for install in my hearth.
And DuaeGuttae is correct (as I type this), the online price was 10% off because of them apparently cutting it from stock. Even without that, still about $1000 less before any add ons.
You do realize you are still supposed to pay that sales tax right? So the difference is really only $1012.

Last edited:
Reactions: St. Coemgen
We got the 1700 for less than 2000 including our 8.25% Texas sales tax. It was already on sale, and we negotiated a further discount. I think retail would come in somewhere north of 2000 given what I researched since you have options on the door and surround for additional charges. We really wanted an Enviro 1700 for the size of the firebox and the low height that fit our difficult fireplace, so we were really glad to have found one even if it was a second rather than first choice. I would have bought one online if necessary, but ours worked out well as it gave us an excuse to visit an aunt and cousin and second cousins in a different part of the state. We also retain the warranty.

Last edited:
You do realize you are still supposed to pay that sales tax right? So the difference is really only $1012.
I was surprised to see they lacked a tax line item but indeed figured they'll either send a receipt or it's something to be claimed. Taxes are not my forte.
Even so, $1000 for the average American worker bringing in roughly 50k a year is a full week of work saved right there. That's a lot of money for most of us. Had it been a sub $500 difference and I wouldn't have bothered getting it online.

I was surprised to see they lacked a tax line item but indeed figured they'll either send a receipt or it's something to be claimed. Taxes are not my forte.
Even so, $1000 for the average American worker bringing in roughly 50k a year is a full week of work saved right there. That's a lot of money for most of us. Had it been a sub $500 difference and I wouldn't have bothered getting it online.
Absolutely the difference is absolutely substantial. And as long as nothing goes wrong it makes perfect sense. But don't expect your local dealers help if you have problems that require warranty work etc.

These are somewhat unusual times with some stove dealers trying to clear out inventory before the May 2020 deadline. That may explain the pricing disparity. I've heard rumors that Enviro may be tossing in the towel which would be a shame. They make very nice stoves.

Reactions: St. Coemgen
These are somewhat unusual times with some stove dealers trying to clear out inventory before the May 2020 deadline. That may explain the pricing disparity. I've heard rumors that Enviro may be tossing in the towel which would be a shame. They make very nice stoves.

That’s what it sounded like to me. Apparently they’re too small of a player to make compliance worthwhile for them, at least for the wood stoves. You’d think they’d go to a catalytic setup rather than walk away, but what do I know looking in from the outside? Just glad I was able to snag one beforehand.
Are there any parts I should be buying now before it’s too late to get them, just in case? Blower perhaps?
Are the door seals universal?

I didn't think that Sherwood Industries was small. They have over 200 employees that still make gas and pellet stoves. Last I read pellet stoves were over half their sales.

I am strongly in favor of OEM door gaskets vs the over the counter stuff.