Rhubarb Pie Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Living up in the northern NH, my seasons are delayed. I can still look at the front window at snow in the ravines of the Northern Presidentials. The first green thing that I can eat out of the garden are Egyptian walking onion greens (sort of like scallions), the next is rhubarb. I normally cook pretty simple but over the years I finally perfected my pie crust recipe and always make a double batch around the Christmas holiday's and I freeze one until the rhubarb is ready. Today was the day and I cooked up a messy but delicious rhubarb pie. Not sure why, but the crust from the freezer is always better. Definitely not a diet food but a nice start to the growing season.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Pics? (and recipe if you are fine with sharing?)

I’ve been looking at my 3 patches of rhubarb. I usually harvest in June, but I’d love to have a pie, lol.

Pics? (and recipe if you are fine with sharing?)
Too late ;)

The filling is pretty basic, 4 cups fresh rhubarb, 1- 1/3 cup sugar and 6 tablespoons of flour. The crust is mostly technique although substituting sour creme for water substantially reduces gluten development (leading to a crispier crust).

Its a messy pie, the filling really does not set so when a piece is taken out the filling flows to the cut. Still tastes great.

Reactions: stoveliker
We just planted rhubarb this spring. Being a cooler weather plant I have it in a big pot so I can figure out where it will be happiest at.

I walk by the pot and think about the pies next year.

My plants were planted sometime in the 1800
We have been here 50 years and every year we
get a fantastic amount of Rhubard, Rhubard strawberry pies
Rhubarb crisp and a large amount chopped and frozen for the winter
Stewed with custard. A real treat in the middle of winter

• Love
Reactions: stoveliker
I got mine from my mom years ago and planted it in poor soil and it didnt do much. When I set up a garden I got a couple of loads of overwintered cow manure and dumped it in a low corner. I moved the rhubarb over to that spot and I get a healthy crop every year and expect I could split up the clumps and get far more than I use.

I used to see it all the time near old farm sites where the old buildings are long gone.