Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
460 bucks for that amount is great. I'm hearing we're in for a colder winter this year, we'll see how much colder.

It's always nice when you can have years worth of firewood in your inventory, but it seems like we always want more.
Almost like that unquenchable thirst.

I have heard/read that also about this coming winter. I only have 1.5 cords of 4+ year seasoned stuff, but hoping at least the maple and ash I split this year will be ready if needed.

I have about 4 years worth at the moment id say. Not all seasoned though.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Nothing wood related going on with me yet, still remodeling and moving stuff to the Northwoods. Lots of ticks up there right now. Haven't even logged in here in a couple of weeks.

Just made a deal with family of family for a supposedly hardly used 22t gas splitter for $250. He even got it running and ran a couple of test splits for me. 👍

Once we get moved and settled I need to rebuild our boardwalks, clear a spot for a pole shed, and clean up a bunch of knocked down and dead tree's; besides finishing the rest of the interior of the cabin. And I told the missus I might get a part time job if I can't find any good real estate investment opportunities...

Almost like that unquenchable thirst.

I have heard/read that also about this coming winter. I only have 1.5 cords of 4+ year seasoned stuff, but hoping at least the maple and ash I split this year will be ready if needed.

I have about 4 years worth at the moment id say. Not all seasoned though.
I remember when we finally had three years worth of firewood (based on 12 face cord of hardwood per year) in the inventory, I thought that "wood" make me stop but nope.

And then because we had a bunch of dead pine, I talked the wife into burning softwood, that started out at 6 face cord per year but the bugs keep killing the pines along with some clearing we did for a new garage in 2018 so we upped that to 12 face cord per year....it never ends. ==c

Reactions: MRD1985
Nothing wood related going on with me yet, still remodeling and moving stuff to the Northwoods. Lots of ticks up there right now. Haven't even logged in here in a couple of weeks.

Just made a deal with family of family for a supposedly hardly used 22t gas splitter for $250. He even got it running and ran a couple of test splits for me. 👍

Once we get moved and settled I need to rebuild our boardwalks, clear a spot for a pole shed, and clean up a bunch of knocked down and dead tree's; besides finishing the rest of the interior of the cabin. And I told the missus I might get a part time job if I can't find any good real estate investment opportunities...
For 250 bucks even if you put some money into it, that's a great deal.

Congrats on moving, it sounds like you'll be busy.

Reactions: NickW
Spent this morning bucking up the log delivery I got last week. View attachment 326905
With a full time job, I only get the weekends to do any firewood processing. Here of late it’s rained at least one weekend day for the past few months. This past weekend I was lucky enough to finally finish splitting and stacking g this load of Ash. Came to about 1 1/2 cords.

With all this rain my grass has never looked better though and I was able to cut that Friday evening after work. The yard has definitely been an undertaking since moving into this home 6 years ago. Here are two before and after pictures of what my front and back yard looked like before moving in and what they look like now.
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024

I remember when we finally had three years worth of firewood (based on 12 face cord of hardwood per year) in the inventory, I thought that "wood" make me stop but nope.

And then because we had a bunch of dead pine, I talked the wife into burning softwood, that started out at 6 face cord per year but the bugs keep killing the pines along with some clearing we did for a new garage in 2018 so we upped that to 12 face cord per year....it never ends. ==c
My biggest dilemma is that I can’t store anymore without pissing off my wife lol she doesn’t want our backyard “filled” with wood. It is not, by no means. I could easily fit a few more cords or even a little more and still have to a ton of room for the kids to play and what not

Last edited:
Not much working going on today except for helping the wife with some grocery shopping. I almost made it through the grocery store without saying, hey would you like this for supper tonight, she said sure. I'll be cooking some sausage, red & orange bell peppers, garlic with onions in a red sauce.

Reactions: Dajolu and MRD1985
Other than the grocery shopping, this is the only work I did. It will be ready at 4 or after.

It has red & orange bell peppers in it (a total of 5) I browned the sausage first, the bell peppers with onions were cooked down next and then put everything together with garlic, Italian seasoning, sugar with some salt & pepper. I used two 14.5 ounce cans of stewed tomatoes that I put in the blender before putting it in with the peppers, onions with the sausage going in last.

We usually have rolls but since I'm taking the weight loss through the end of May, we'll go without them.

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Today I finally started up the tractor, it was still in 4WD so the last time I used it was moving or plowing snow. I put the pallet forks on it, grabbed a pallet so I could take four bags of tube sand out of the back of our RTV (done) my truck had another five bags we had planned on using in the three point sander but never needed it so that went on the same pallet, it's in the woods for the summer.

Reactions: Stelcom66
I hope it's ok to post from the west coast ;-) A few pics from my fire wood expedition to Crystal Lake in the Angeles National Forest, southern California:
1716597945790.png

View south from 5000' towards the coast
1716598961556.png

The road
1716598085042.png
My car has a 1000 lbs load limit, so I couldn't take that much fire wood with me on the initial (scouting) trip.
1716598172977.png

Still, better than nothing.
1716598244332.png

The first load, almost 1/6 of a cord.
1716598347689.png

For the second trip I rented something bigger: 3000 lbs limit, not enough for a cord of oak, but ok for 5/6th of a mixed load of mostly western white (or California mountain) pine and oak
1716598526389.png

Mostly stacked up; I also got some two foot tall 16-18" diameter stumps, most for burning, but I'll keep a few as chopping blocks and side tables.

The Forest Service charges only $35 per hardwood or mixed cord, but obviously most of the cost is in the van rental & fuel.

Last edited:
Finished up a garden project for a friend, installed a new mailbox and grabbed a load of Oak it's time for a beer.
I could use a garden structure like that, looks great. So many times I'd wait to pick a tomato only to find the next day a bite was taken out of it. Last year I made a small enclosure with chicken wire and more tighter fencing on the bottom that was successful. Last weekend I expanded it a bit and got plants in the ground. Wanted to get that done before this weekend.

What brand truck is that? An 8' bed?

My car has a 1000 lbs load limit, so I couldn't take that much fire wood with me on the initial (scouting) trip.
Great photos. But at least you have a wagon, wish my daily driver was that or an SUV for times when you may see some wood for the taking on a drive on the side of the road. I always liked VW wagons, not sure if that's a Sportwagen.

I could use a garden structure like that, looks great. So many times I'd wait to pick a tomato only to find the next day a bite was taken out of it. Last year I made a small enclosure with chicken wire and more tighter fencing on the bottom that was successful. Last weekend I expanded it a bit and got plants in the ground. Wanted to get that done before this weekend.

What brand truck is that? An 8' bed?
1997 ford f150. Gutless 4.6 engine and a 5 speed manual but it gets the job done put a lot of miles on that truck.

Great photos. But at least you have a wagon, wish my daily driver was that or an SUV for times when you may see some wood for the taking on a drive on the side of the road. I always liked VW wagons, not sure if that's a Sportwagen.
Yep, it's the Sportwagon (or -wagen); love it. The volume is real good (almost 70 cubic feet with rear seats folded, a Tesla Model Y is only slightly larger), but without harder rear springs the car sits really low, as I learned when leaving the Crystal Lake camping area...

Initially I thought this was one of those occasions where a pickup truck would be nice, but after a bit of research those are lacking bed volume, unless you load an 8' bed to cab height, then you get close to a cord; and I'm not sure how that plays out on Rt 39 and at highway speed on the 605. Most of them are also a bit short on load weight limit (2000 lbs typically). I think you want to be able to fit a cord of hardwood (~3500 lbs). Can most pickup trucks tow a 2 ton trailer? But then again, up in the Sierra Madre the road is awfully curvy.

1997 ford f150. Gutless 4.6 engine and a 5 speed manual but it gets the job done put a lot of miles on that truck.
Dude, I would love to have a truck like that! A full size with a manual transmission! The fact that it's a 1997 says a lot too. Seems like many on here have older trucks, Even if I won the lottery I don't think I could bring myself to load rounds or throw split wood into the back of a $60k truck.

As for the 4.6, it's got a good reputation. Racking up many miles in Crown Victor taxis and I believe in police vehicles. A co-worker has a '98 Ford F150, 5 speed manual 2WD, but the 4.2 V6. I don't think even Ram offers a manual transmission - in later years it was only available with the 2500 series. I just hope my 2002 Chevy lasts for a while longer. In this neck of the woods it's the rust that does them in.

Manual transmission (and a diesel) would have been nice down the hill in the loaded van. The automatic on the van had a manual override, but the engine braking is not as good as with a diesel.

Manual transmission (and a diesel) would have been nice down the hill in the loaded van. The automatic on the van had a manual override, but the engine braking is not as good as with a diesel.
Yes, a diesel with a manual would be great. I was such a manual transmission I had a full size van, Ford Club Wagon with a 4 speed manual on the floor with the 300 cid 6.. With the back seats out the capacity was huge, would have been good for firewood.

When I briefly had a full size company van I'd put a couple of wood rounds in back for traction, it wasn't too bad with those in snow.

I don't know automatic cars very well (Europe mostly drives manuals), but the two automatics we've had here could easily shift down to break with the engine. Is that not common?

Sure a diesel does better, but are you saying other automatic cars can't manually shift down?

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
I don't know automatic cars very well (Europe mostly drives manuals), but the two automatics we've had here could easily shift down to break with the engine. Is that not common?

Sure a diesel does better, but are you saying other automatic cars can't manually shift down?
I think most have at least a setting to prefer lower gears, but I don't know whether all can be forced to stay in lower gear. I think torque converter overheating is also a thing, at least I have read warnings against it when towing automatics with torque converter (the old type of automatic, not the dual clutch sequential gearbox formula 1 kind).

In Europe 'Sprinter' vans seem quite common, a bit less so here. Before those became popular, there was an abundance of 7.5 ton (metric) trucks that you could drive with a normal passenger car license. At least that's what I remember. I don't see those here in the US; obviously wouldn't be metric, but something of that size doesn't seem to be common.

Firewood seems to be right in the density middle ground, needing both a good amount of volume, but not as much as in a moving van or UPS or Amazon truck, and a good amount of load carrying capacity. I'm also not sure I'd want to drive a moving truck into the forest. I guess best would be if one could have short (6' ?) logs dropped off right in the driveway; moving vans can make it into the suburbs, so why not logging trucks? But maybe I'm over estimating the market of people who are too stingy for ready-to-burn split firewood and don't have their own wooded lot...

Reactions: stoveliker
Did a bunch of brush cutting once the rain stopped and kicked up several fire ant mounds. Since they are where I'm going to be working they are no more.

For you northerners, they are bad juju so they are on my list of things that need to go.

Reactions: stoveliker
They are invasive anyway. Get rid of them.
Had them in my yard with small kids... I did use poison there (and fenced it off for the kids for a month or too).