“Rounds” you say?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
I joined an email/text distribution a couple of years ago where a local tree company will notify you of jobs in the area. Some are bring your truck and trailer to pick up rounds or logs. Some are delivery of rounds, logs or chips. I have never been notified except this week. We have had a lot of trees down in the area from the big storm.

Anyway, got a text for maple rounds delivered. I said I can take them. An hour later a giant Duece and a half rolls up with a dump bed. I show him where to go and he dumps it. Out comes some giant wood. Stumps and trunks is what I call it. I told him I don’t have a saw big enough to cut through this but it is what it is. He asked if I wanted a truckload of cedar and a truck load of 8ft logs but I told him I would have to think about it.

The rounds in the background are mine and what I was expecting. The hollow stuff is easy enough and should cut up nice, some of the big stiff will have to be cut down and then worked from there. Free is free and delivered is nice, no hurry to cut it up either.
Now what?
98d4ba9f92352d525eda04586d26b99a.jpg

d025636b16d4ccd76b58271ff6f0e61c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Holy Flippin' Pancakes! Now that's service! I wish we had something like that around here. I'd have them deliver every day if I could get it, haha! Count your blessings and make a pot of coffee. That's going to be some great stove wood there!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Trying to get a load of the logs tomorrow but I need to build a woodshed and get some pallets up here to start stacking, once I rent a splitter

Not sure how much that equates to but it’s a start.

Ahh...yeah there’s a reason they gave that away but not the rest of it!

That’s a lot of work, that wood will be hard to cut and split, but like you said it is free. Hate to say it but those types of pieces I usually just roll over the hill instead of processing it.

The hollow pieces will be good, but keep a few chains handy as the dirt and whatnot will dull your chain.

Good connection regardless, hopefully they keep you in mind for future loads too!

Best of luck with that. I got some monster oak trunk pieces once. Sometimes it’s more than what you bargained for!

Holy moly...just kindle up a flame and you’ll have an eternal bon fire.

I process big stuff like that quite frequently. The proper tools make all the difference in the world. First comes a saw that can whittle the stuff up to manageable size - the second is a splitter with enough guts to turn it into stove chow. The third is a strong back and weak mind...errrr...something like that.;lol
FFEB7E3B-FCD5-469B-B322-1B6718831694.jpeg

So.. that big hollow crotch in the middle, what are you gonna do with that?

you can cut through that stuff. your bar doesn't have to be as long as the diameter of the wood, just work your way around it. I only see one piece that might possibly be bigger around than a 16" bar (assuming your bar isn't shorter than 16") couldn't get even to the middle. On something like that, cut in as far as your bar will go, all the way around, and then split it down until you can get back in to it with the saw. OR, cut pieces of it lengthwise with your saw. For years I cut solely with an old Stihl 028 with a 16" bar and I cut up any kind of wood imaginable, and took whatever I could get.

This scenario is exactly why I run from 260 to a 660 class saws.Every situation is covered..you never know what a tree service will bring.

Reactions: Lone_Gun