0 clearance fp to insert or ws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Line the existing chimney
Create a fire resistant cement and rock barrier inside floor is cement slab and put smallish wood stove in the space
That is what I was thinking
The odds of using the existing chimney are slim. The insert supports it. The width of the chase interior is critical for alcove clearances for a freestanding stove. Most also require an 84" alcove ceiling height, but not all. Replacing it with a modern, efficient ZC may be easier.

I think begreen is correct it says
DF 40 it's scratched but that's it
So should it never been burning wood? We haven't been here very long?
Couple months. Chimney sweep said it was good to go. Ugh.
So can I reline that flu for wood burning stove?

The chimney pipe enters into garage and then to roof from basement

20231110_122359.jpg 20231110_122412.jpg

Line the existing chimney
Create a fire resistant cement and rock barrier inside floor is cement slab and put smallish wood stove in the space
That is what I was thinking
Yeah that won't work. The existing chimney will come out when the fireplace does. And a cement board box will absolutely not be enough to put a woodstove in.

I'm not sure if it is gas. Is there a gas line or a stub of one in the firebox or piping to it in the garage?

It looks like a total replacement to me. The good news is that the replacement may be easier once everything is exposed at the back.

Well the project is done
Ended up getting rid of the earth stove upstairs found a jotul f3
Downstairs we bought a drolet 1800
I relined both existing older triple walls
Removed the chase in the garage it was useless. Thank you everyone who shared their knowledge. Much appreciated
1000005244.jpg 1000005265.jpg

That's a unique solution. How does the chimney connect on the other side of the support box?

A couple things to note with the Jotul install. The heat shield needs to be open on the top by at least an inch to be legal and effective. This is so that air can freely convect behind it to protect the wall. I like the idea of raising the stove but it needs a better base. The legs are too close to the edge for me to be comfortable with.

Reactions: webby3650