0 Days until I get my GARN - IT'S HERE!!!! WOOHOO!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
I picked up my GARN this AM at my dealer in Mansfield, PA. It was an easy trip up, about 2.5 hrs with the empty trailer. My unit was the first off the truck, and the crane op swung right on to my flatbed. I was strapped down and out of there in an hour. The trip home was longer and tiring, as heavy rain dogged me the whole way.

I'll have some pics up on Monday - just thought I would update this post.

I got the word that my WHS 2000 will be in Mansfield, PA for pickup this Friday! It's like Christmas a few months early! It is about a 3 hour drive from my house to the dealer, but the $600 savings was worth it to me. I have a flatbed trailer and tow vehicle appropriate for the trip. The concrete is cured in the shed, so I can off-load it as soon as I get the sheetrock on the back wall of the garage! There are a few pictures here.

Jim, congratulations I know how you feel, my advice would be to check out heaterman's pics on his garn enclosures, you need alot of insulation, the garn basically is a big radiator, also due to the length of burried pex in your proposed wood loop, make sure you insulate and waterproof well. in a garn,burn/store as opposed to a on demand system you will be able to watch your standby loss with the temp gauge on the boiler, this could be depressing.

Thanks! Even though it is only 60 feet of buried line, it will be insulated in place with spray foam just the same as if it were 100 feet underground. I am also going to heavily insulate the pipes hung inside the garage.

I have been following heaterman's progress, and I will be insulating my GARN as much as possible. I may even spray foam part of the outer walls.

I intend to have remote monitoring of the GARN temp inside the house. I do expect standby losses, but how much is obviously the great unkown. It's still better knowing that the losses are not heating oil $$$ drifting away in the air . . . ;)

Congratulation Jim. What great news! I am still waiting for the phone call. My Garn will be attached to my workshop, I will be able to exhaust heat losses from the Garn to the workshop. With foamed trench I expect the piping losses to be minimal.

Enjoy the three hour trip, I'm sure you will be smiling all the way.

Sawyer said:
Congratulation Jim. What great news! I am still waiting for the phone call. My Garn will be attached to my workshop, I will be able to exhaust heat losses from the Garn to the workshop. With foamed trench I expect the piping losses to be minimal.

Eventually I plan to implement a similar plan to allow passive losses to actually heat my upstairs wood shop. That will supplement the radiant floor system I have planned for up there.

When did you order your GARN? Apparently they are only shipping units to customers that are paid in full BEFORE delivery. If you are not ready to pay or take delivery, your unit goes to someone else on the list.

They are calling for a chance of rain for my trip on Friday, but I suspect the GARN won't melt . . . ;)

Jim K in PA said:
Sawyer said:

Eventually I plan to implement a similar plan to allow passive losses to actually heat my upstairs wood shop. That will supplement the radiant floor system I have planned for up there.

When did you order your GARN? Apparently they are only shipping units to customers that are paid in full BEFORE delivery. If you are not ready to pay or take delivery, your unit goes to someone else on the list.

They are calling for a chance of rain for my trip on Friday, but I suspect the GARN won't melt . . . ;)

Payment in full before delivery is the policy for everyone. Martin Lunde's own mother would have to pay up front. :)

I think that they had a really bad experience with a couple dealers some years ago the were the instigation for this policy. I was told they had one here in Michigan that made off with 5 or 6 units. That amount of money is a major hurt on any business let alone one the size of Dectra at that time.

Jim K in PA said:
Sawyer said:

I ordered mine July 5th. I expected to have to pay in full before posession. My dealer required a 50% down payment, balance due before picking up the unit in St. Anthony, MN.

You ordered yours a little more than a week after I ordered mine, so hopefully you will get that call soon! Post up when you do.

My comment above about the payment in full was not to take umbrage with it, just to let you know about the situation. I had to put 1/3 down and then the rest was sent last week.

Jim K in PA said:
You ordered yours a little more than a week after I ordered mine, so hopefully you will get that call soon! Post up when you do.

My comment above about the payment in full was not to take umbrage with it, just to let you know about the situation. I had to put 1/3 down and then the rest was sent last week.

No problem with the payment notice, I will let you know when I hear from Garn.

Mansfield, PA.....shoot.

Jim where you from? I know exactly where Mansfield is at and in fact I've spent quite a few good nights in tents outside of Wellsboro.

Jim K in PA said:
Sawyer - I got it! See my revised post above. I'll put up some pics on monday when I am at a smarter computer.

Is it now setting with a red bow under the tree with a fat man in a red suit sitting on top? Congratulations Jim, I look forward to your photos and postings as you do your install, I will learn from your adventure, more than likely making my installation easier.

George, patiently waiting for my Garn.

Status
Not open for further replies.