029 Bar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RazrRebel

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Hey guys just a quick question. I have an older 029 that still runs pretty good, but the bar is ready to be changed. I bought the saw used and all of the writing is wore off the bar. Trying to figure out what size bar to get. The only thing on the bar I can read is 40CM. Now that translates to 15.78 inches. Does that mean I need a 16" bar? I've used this saw for about ten years but this year I'll be burning wood and I need to get started. Also I've only used a regular chain, I'm thinking of getting a skip chain this time. Can anyone help with the right size bar and chain?

Tough question but as a guess I would think its a .325 chain set-up. Do you sharpen your own chains and if yes what size file you use? Skip chain you could move up to a 20 inch bar if you want to...

Go to your Dealer and they should make a wise recommendation.

BUT..... My 455 Rancher is the same cc size and I run a 20" bar. It pulls pretty good, but nothing like my 036 with a 20"... The 455/029/MS 290 should be best fiited with a 16" (Best) or 18" (Max)..IMO... The smaller the Bar, the more you will "Like" your saw. Wont Bog or stop in wood. My 20" Rancher will Die if I lay on it, but the 20" 036 RIPS!!

THE RULES:

Bar mount - size and type of bar mount pattern must match that on the powerhead.

Pitch - pitch of drive sprocket on powerhead must match pitch of chain and pitch of tip sprocket on bar.

Gauge - gauge of chain must match gauge of bar. Drive sprocket on powerhead is independent of gauge.

DL - number of drive links (DL) in chain must match number of drive links stamped on bar.

40cm should be a 16" bar. The 029/290 recommended bar lengths are 16-20". I prefer 16" or maybe 18" on that saw with full comp chain. It bogs down a bit too much when burying a 20" bar w/full comp chain in hardwoods.

As already stated, your dealer can set you up with the proper bar & chain. If your bar is worn, also check your drive sprocket/rim for wear. Grease the bearing, too, if you haven't.

Most important thing when buying a bar for the 029/MS290 is chain pitch. Take the saw or a loop of chain with you to the dealer. These saws were sold with both .325" chain (most common in my experience) and 3/8" chain. Any bar length 16" - 20" should be fine but I agree that this saw is prob. best with a 16" or 18". You can count your drive links on the chain to determine what your current bar is.

.325 .063 Chain 3/8 .050 Chain

67 links = 16" 60 links = 16"
74 links = 18" 66 links = 18"
81 links = 20" 72 links = 20"

Link to Stihl's Bar/Chain reference page.

http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdfs/SawChainSelection.pdf

And +1 on verifying the condition of the clutch sprocket, if the clutch sprocket is worn it'll only chew up the drive links on the chain faster which will in turn wear out the groove on your new bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.