036 New Bar Bought.. Now No Oil!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

I just bought a new 20" Rollamatic ES (yellow) and the 72 dl Full chisel (yellow) chain for the 036 I got 2 weeks ago. Bought these to replace the 25", that was on it. My buddy said he had a 20" for it, but cant find it now. For almost $200 I have in it. I am not going to complain about it.

BUT. I put the New Bar and Chain on it and started the beast up.. No Oil. Thought maybe I got the wrong Bar (They gave me what I described I wanted), so I took the Bar and Cover off. Run the Saw with oil wide open and get nothing. The saw is clean and blown out. Nothing in the passage.

I called the dealer, they said to bring it in and for $45 they will diagnose it. Might take it in tomorow. They said if its "Simple" that they wont charge me anything other than the diagnostic fee.

I am pretty mechanically inclinded, but they emailed me an exploded parts diagram.. And I want nothing to do with many small parts.

Anybody have any quick suggestions, other than clean the port or blow it out (Or take off the Bar. LOL). Otherwise. I am going to drop it off tomorrow. Pretty dissapointing.. Still have less than $270 with the added $75 for the Bar and Chain today. Hope it is nothing serious.

Will Post pics with New Bar and Chain after repaired. After I took the Bar off to check for oil. I got bummed and left it off. Last pic is with the Old 25" on it (Day I picked it up)

Attachments

• Stihl 2.jpg
    Stihl 2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 454
  • Stihl 4.jpg
    Stihl 4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 445
  • All 4 Saws and gear.jpg
    All 4 Saws and gear.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 418
I bet you can also do a search over on AS and find a handful of threads on this same thing. Just one more resource to help ya out.

Bigg_Redd said:
Was it oiling properly with the 25" bar?

Yes it was. Getting ready to leave for work. I got it in the trunk of the car. I hope its not over $100. If I can keep TOTAL Cost under $350. Then Its justifiable.

The Oil was not as much as my 455, but the bar is also 5" longer. It was enough to show that it "Was Working".

Here is to hoping it is something cheap and simple. Cant wait to Try out the New bar. It seemed much more balanced with the 20". The 25" makes it do a nose dive (Very Nose Heavy). , and adds what seems like 2-3 lbs.

When I bought my 025 many years ago, it stopped throwing oil off the chain. I brought it back right away to the dealer and they replaced an internal part called the "slinger". I did not get into details, but it was repaired and works. I believe that the part regulates the flow of oil onto the chain using inertia when the chain gear sprocket is engaged.

Dropped the Saw off at the Dealer on the way home. They said about a 5-7 day lead time for Diagnoses.

Gave them the go ahead to fix if its under $150 without calling to ask.

Cant wait to get it back and put that new Bar and Chain on it. I Love how Stihl "Color Codes" Everything. Makes it easy to pick items out.

Couldnt wait to post pics with the Saw. More pics to come when the saw gets out of the shop.

Attachments

• Stihl Bar and Chain 1.jpg
    Stihl Bar and Chain 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 418
  • Stihl Bar and Chain 2.jpg
    Stihl Bar and Chain 2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 329
Saw is Home... Finally. $120 later...... Lookin at $225 for the Original trade. Then $75 for the 20" Bar and Chain (Didnt want to have the 25" on all the time), then $120 for repairs.... Mechanic said it should be good to go, for AWHILE!!! ... I hoipe so.... $440!!!! Damn.. $130 more. I could have had a NEW one w/ 2 yr warranty.

Attachments

• Stihl #8 Fixed.jpg
    Stihl #8 Fixed.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 645
  • Stihl and 3 Husqvarna's.jpg
    Stihl and 3 Husqvarna's.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Stihl and Husqvarna's.jpg
    Stihl and Husqvarna's.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Stihl Bar and Chain 2.jpg
    Stihl Bar and Chain 2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 258
DexterDay said:
Saw is Home... Finally. $120 later...... Lookin at $225 for the Original trade. Then $75 for the 20" Bar and Chain (Didnt want to have the 25" on all the time), then $120 for repairs.... Mechanic said it should be good to go, for AWHILE!!! ... I hoipe so.... $440!!!! Damn.. $130 more. I could have had a NEW one w/ 2 yr warranty.

Sure looks like a 450.00 dollar saw! :cheese: 10.00 saved is 10.00 earned..... ;-)

He posted this on another thread: "New Worm gear, bearing, and springs…"

DexterDay said:

You really can't count the cost of the new bar/chains as that was a completely discretionary purchase on your part.

Bigg_Redd said:
DexterDay said:

You really can't count the cost of the new bar/chains as that was a completely discretionary purchase on your part.

Very True Redd.... For the Overall price I added it. Just because if I bought a "New Saw", It would have came w/ a New Bar and Chain.

The mechanic said that it prob wasn't oiling right for a long time. After running it yesterday and seeing the amount it was slinging, it wasnt. It did "Leak" a little oil before. But most Saws leak a little when they get old.
Here is a pic from when I 1st got it. Notice how the is burnt plastic around the drum/sprocket. He explained if it was burnt around the drum like that, when I got it. Then it had been leaking out and not getting enough oil to begin with.. I wondered about why the plastic was melted around the sproket drum. He said that the previous owner had run it with the Chain Brake on. The Pads were smoked on the Brake, Springs were Damaged, Bearing was wasted, Worm Gear was smoked, and Oil line had a crack in it (Why it was leaking when I ran it).

I asked my buddy and apparently it had been "Borrowed" years ago before it was put up on the shelf. I really don't care one way or another. He also wondered how that plastic had been melted. If I get time later, I will post a pic of the oil-line.

Its fixed and man its even Nicer than I thought it was before. The 20" Bar on this thing, is a match made in heaven. I am going to go buy an 18" for the 455.

Overall, It isnt a 70cc Saw (I am still getting one), but its a Heck of a lot more Saw than my Rancher. By a $hitload!!

Attachments

• Stihl 1 (inside).jpg
    Stihl 1 (inside).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 267
smokinjay said:
DexterDay said:

Sure looks like a 450.00 dollar saw! :cheese: 10.00 saved is 10.00 earned..... ;-)

LOL right on. My 288XP,24" bar with the excellent used full-wrap handlebar purchased separately was $545.I got $25 of that back when I sold the original flush-mount handlebar on Ebay.I still will eventually get the HD Air Filter,extension tube for carb & the high top cover for everything- that's around $95 plus 28" Oregon Power Match Plus bar w/skip tooth chain.That's another $93.Total cost around $708 when done.

That's still better than $1300 for new comparable 390XP with same displacement & horsepower, but less RPMs too. :coolgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.