07 near winter end feed back ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Near end of winter, how about some feed back from other wood burners ?

Tennessee so far, very mild winter (a few cold nights), no snow at all, but had very violent wind/tornados.

Burned 1/2 the amount so far compared to the two winters before, have not got to my main wood pile yet, still on my "extra" piles.......amazing.
Not over yet, but soon I think.

Robbie

We've been getting our butts kicked this winter. Over 90 inches of snow. Thick layer of ice on the roads.
Counties are running out of road salt. -7F last night, and more frigid air tonight. My kids will have to make
up nearly a week of school in June. And lots of winter left in the Upper Midwest. Not that I'm complaining. :)

long island NY: mild for the most part. snow has been pretty much non-existant.

northwinds said:
We've been getting our butts kicked this winter. Over 90 inches of snow. Thick layer of ice on the roads.
Counties are running out of road salt. -7F last night, and more frigid air tonight. My kids will have to make
up nearly a week of school in June. And lots of winter left in the Upper Midwest. Not that I'm complaining. :)

Yeah, but now you have that Isle Royal crankin' and it just don't matter. :cheese:

Yep, I pretty much have the same weather as Northwinds. Lots of snow, lots of cold, lots of wind. Thats the northern mid west for ya. Actually feels like and old fashion winter around here (finally).

Still have plenty of wood left, but I am starting to loose the romance. It always happens to me about this time of year. I still cook wood, but am ready to be done for the year.

In CT we haven't had as much snow but it got cold pretty early and stayed that way; for the most part. We have had a couple of thaws where temps have risen into the 40s+ during the day then back down at night. Kind of a whimpy pain in the azz, ya need to burn the stove but it isn't that cold kind of winter. But, we did get a stretch where we thought we'd traded with those Wisconsin folks; GOD bless'm out there for that's real winter.

Less wood usage so far this year because of better seasoned stock (about 50% of my wood has seasoned for about 1.5 year). We've had more snow this year but slightly warmer minimum temperatures but overall I believe it's been colder.

Kind of hard to judge until the season is complete however. Being the PNW we could get a cold snap that lasts into the third week of march or it could warm up fast. You just never know.

Down to only about 5 years of woodpile left.

Winter has been fickle. First very warm then very cold. Lots of snow but have had some thaws in between storms or even during storms. Rain last weekend took part of the snow but still measured by a tall Indian. Winter is far from being over. Heating season doesn't end until mid-May.

Here in Central NY I'd have to say temp/snow wise it's been a mild winter. This past weekend I noticed we went to the halfway mark on the outdoor improvised wood tent...so life is good.

Only been through about 2.5 tons of pellets give or take so far this year. Of course the 150 or so gallons of oil from when my stove motor bit the dust in December made me want to scream. It hasn't been all that bad but it hasn't been all that nice either. Either bone ass cold like early winter or nasty wet windy which seems to suck the heat out faster than minus 20 does. Thermostat never gets above 65 or way less for the bedrooms, thats the ticket. Strange we didn't get a lot of snow but it snowed just a little constantly all winter long. Locally one of the burbs in Montreal said they got more snow than since keeping records in 48 . One thing for sure they spent a pile on road maintenance this winter. Those chitty little storms require plowing just like the big ones.

Jags said:
northwinds said:

Yeah, but now you have that Isle Royal crankin' and it just don't matter. :cheese:

The stove certainly turns my family room into Key West--short sleeves, shorts and margaritas. On the outside,
however, I hit bottom tonight. My VW Golf diesel froze up for the second time in one week. First time, it was iced up
fuel filter. This time, they're going to drain what's left of the fuel tank. Two tows in one week is not the kind of
secondary burn that I'm looking for.

[/quote]

The stove certainly turns my family room into Key West--short sleeves, shorts and margaritas. On the outside,
however, I hit bottom tonight. My VW Golf diesel froze up for the second time in one week. First time, it was iced up
fuel filter. This time, they're going to drain what's left of the fuel tank. Two tows in one week is not the kind of
secondary burn that I'm looking for.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the car troubles, nothing is worse. If you arent using a diesel additive with your fuel, you may want to consider using something like "power service" sold anywhere big trucks are serviced, or fuel up. A cheap insurance policy in cold weather.

Thanks, reaperman. I do religiously use the power service in the white bottle. My mechanic thinks I
got a bad tank of diesel last time I fueled up at a truck stop. It was the same tank of fuel that gave me
problems the first time.

'Cmon, it's only the middle of February. We've got at least two months of winter left around here. And then it gets ugly for a month.

You people have had it made with the snow and all......... ;-P

It's been so long since we had any measurable snow in Tennessee, I forgot what it looks like.

Seriously.....we had a few spits of ice and that's all.

Robbie

Colder than normal since August. Crappy Sept. October had some nicer days, but wood burning time in the evenings. Nov, Dec and Jan definitely colder than normal. It's starting to warm up now. Today was nice and it's still 50 at 8:30 pm. Spring is around the corner. Overall it looks like a 3 cord winter for us.

secondary burn that I'm looking for.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the car troubles, nothing is worse. If you arent using a diesel additive with your fuel, you may want to consider using something like "power service" sold anywhere big trucks are serviced, or fuel up. A cheap insurance policy in cold weather.[/quote]

I use Power Service year 'round . Have run my trucks at -20. You can buy it at Wally World. The increase in mileage and performance more than covers the extra cost.

Robbie I hope you are right about the wood season being over soon in Knoxville.

My wood pile is getting down to almost nothing, a pallet foot print about a foot deep and that's it.

If that's the bad news, the good news is I've been very busy getting prepared for next year!

I haven't officially checked an almanac, but this year, seems like winter came in early, stayed cold, we've had ice storms, snow storms, thunder snow, snow from the north while sun shining from the south, blowing snow, heavy wet snow, 6" of snow that stayed around for weeks, and 6" of snow one morning that melted practically the same day when it hit 55F and sunny that afternoon.

Overall, I'm sick of snow, sick of white, and ready for warm temps!

We've hadda pretty mild one for the most part, and that the house is built for solar exposure makes daytime a breeze. I'm just learning the fine art of aging and drying wood for the optimum burn. Tell ya what- this sure beats the $250+ a month heating bill in Des Plaines IL. But then all I had was the natural gas furnace to rely on in a house built in 1945. $36.00/mo here for electric and gas now..........

Southern Adks of NYS been typical. Started out cold, got a warm spell, and now trend has been cold. 1 degree this morning..We are waiting for sap season here, "gotta be tapped by March 1" has always been our motto. Had decent snow pack, dont know how much overall though, I would say average. Checking out my wood supply, I will definatly have enough to get me to first part of May when I am usually done. I may even have some leftover.

Status
Not open for further replies.