1 1/4 pex-al-pex?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rreihart

Aug 2, 2007
Central PA
I'm looking to run about 180' of underground piping. Based on a previous thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/18453/, I think I want to use 1 1/4 pex to allow for the use of a smaller circulator. So what are the options for 1 1/4 pex?

Is 1 1/4" pex-al-pex available or is 1" the largest size for pap? Is oxygen barrier the only option for 1 1/4? Any recommended brands?

Thanks, Rob.

When I bought pex al pex I told the distributor I wanted 1 1/4 It was shipped when I got the line it was not 1 1/4 it was a true 1" id..It don't answer your question but if you are buying sight unseen STRESS 1 1/4 ID,not 1 1/4 OD because thats a true 1"ID and to my knowledge an expander tool is needed to make the fittings work properly..Not much but it's a start..GOOD LUCK!!
DAVE

I've used 1-1/4" Pex from Watts Radiant. It is not a PexalPex tube, but basic barrier pex. They offer it in 100 foot and 300 fot coils, as well as 20 foot straight sticks.

It's a bear to work with. Use it when it's very warm :) like today.

They offer regular crimp fittings, but they have dual o-rings on the fitting to seal better. I use an electric Press tool to squeeze the rings.

And yes it is a smaller diameter then 1-1/4" copper tube at 1.054 id. The od is the same as 1-1/4 copper tube, called CTS for copper tube size.

The Watts website does show 1-1/2" pex. But I have not seen fittings or used this size. It has a 1.24 id, close to 1" copper.

I suspect if you dig at their website you might find pressure drop and flow charts for the various sizes.

hr

Attachments

• Picture 26.jpg
    Picture 26.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 478
rreihart said:
I'm looking to run about 180' of underground piping. Based on a previous thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/18453/, I think I want to use 1 1/4 pex to allow for the use of a smaller circulator. So what are the options for 1 1/4 pex?

Is 1 1/4" pex-al-pex available or is 1" the largest size for pap? Is oxygen barrier the only option for 1 1/4? Any recommended brands?

Thanks, Rob.

Just curious........Why do you want PAP? Rehau, Wirsbo/Uponor and other make lots of regular pex with the O2 barrier and it's much easier to work with than PAP. 'Course that's like saying a 15' python is easier to manage than a 20 footer. It is but it's still a chore.

Heaterman,
At this point, I'm checking out my options and I like to try to do things the best way possible (within reason). I've never worked with it; I just thought it may maintain its shape better once straightened and be easier to feed through a conduit. From your replies it sounds like hr and yourself use barrier pex. Thats good enough for me. I'll drop the pap search.

Thanks, Rob.

Having just installed some 1" PAP Hydro-flex thru a basement I would have to say it is quite a bit stiffer than the regular stuff and it does stay fairly straight after uncoiling it.
I am not at all sure it would pull easier thru conduit unless the conduit is VERY straight as you have to work it pretty hard to go around bends. Pulling it thru a 4" rigid pipe would probably work ok as long as you use a puller.
I was told the primary advantages were less easily damaged or cut and don't need to fasten as often to prevent rattling ...... after this experience I would use the regular stuff instead of the PAP IMHO it's not worth the extra cost and effort.

I'm looking at running 1" about 150' myself (two 1" circuits instead of a single 1-1/4" due to the cost of the 1-1/4 tubing and fittings). Based upon what I have read on these forums, I thought the preference was for PAP over the regular stuff - due to the fact that it retains it's shape, it expands less axially, and you can use regular compression fittings vs. crimp or specialized systems. But from this thread, it seems like I should re-think that and go with the regular stuff over the PAP? More than half of the length of my runs will be through an unfinished basement. I was thinking that I could avoid the sag effect of the regular stuff , but maybe it's not worth the tradeoff in increased difficulty in handling?

After trying both regular pex and PAP in a pull through InsulSeal, I'd agree the PAP if you straighten it first is a much, much easier pull. It also moves less (thermal expansion) with the aluminum layer.

Borrow or buy one of these wire pulling deals. It works like a Chinese finger cuff :) The more you pull the tighter it gets. It has a nice smooth loop end so as not to get hung up on the ridges.

For a long pull two guys, and possibly a block and tackle may be the best method.

hr

Attachments

• MVC-036F.JPG
    MVC-036F.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 368
I used some PAP for a suspended underfloor perpendicular install (ultra-fin). 4 loops 27' long. Made an uncoiler and with brute strength and ignorance got it done. No sag between joists. not quite sure if there is any better transfer or not due to aluminum. Didn't have to go to the gym that day :) Prolly not to much stiffer than some rugged alum 4 wire entrance cable. Would need to tie off and pull thru with some nylon rope.

rreihart said:
Heaterman,
At this point, I'm checking out my options and I like to try to do things the best way possible (within reason). I've never worked with it; I just thought it may maintain its shape better once straightened and be easier to feed through a conduit. From your replies it sounds like hr and yourself use barrier pex. Thats good enough for me. I'll drop the pap search.

Thanks, Rob.

1-1/4" anything doesn't "feed" through a conduit. I recall one installation where we had to pull a pair of 1-1/4" lines through a 4" InsulSeal conduit and we had the rope tied to my van in order to get the last 50' yanked through. Good luck with the conduit. Lube it up good with some pulling grease that you can buy at an electrical supply house. Commonly known in these parts as electricians KY jelly. :)

[

1-1/4" anything doesn't "feed" through a conduit. I recall one installation where we had to pull a pair of 1-1/4" lines through a 4" InsulSeal conduit and we had the rope tied to my van in order to get the last 50' yanked through. Good luck with the conduit. Lube it up good with some pulling grease that you can buy at an electrical supply house. Commonly known in these parts as electricians KY jelly. :)[/quote]

I thought you were not to use pex around hydrocarbons as it would make it breakdown. Is that lube oil based? And will it harm the pex later?
Leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.