1 and a 1/2 gal. of fine powder cresote&4months;

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Just cleaned my 5.5 inch dia. ss liner and got a gallon and a half of fine powder-like cresote. This is the first time that I have done my own sweep at this home,usually get the chimney sweep to do it just once during the summer. Is that amount of cresote about right? Or is that quite a lot?

It is drawing better now,guess maybe because the liner isn`t the regular 6". It must need to be cleaned more often? Now that I`ve done it in the winter,I may as well do the summer one too :-/ Even though I ain`t terribly fond of heights ..

How much creosote do most of you get for the mid-season sweep?

Once a year, early summer, I clean mine out, maybe 1/3 of a gallon (17 feet of chimney pipe). When I clean mine inside everything is pretty much shiny again.

The best I have heard so far is Gunner with 2 cups although I am sure others in this forum have done better. I burn mostly good seasoned wood but sometimes my temps are not "right on". I usually burn 350-400 stack temp so people that burn a little hotter with good seasoned wood should get less "black powder"......

I help my father clean his chimney once in the fall, once mid season and once in the spring.

Typically don't get any creosote of any kind. Some dry soot that just floats away in fine particulate form, but nothing more than that.

He has a ~95 VC Encore cat but burns very dry hardwood only. We cut firewood when we're bored (which is a lot) so he's on a 2-3 year drying cycle right now. Usually we're rushing to use wood before it starts rotting, rather than waiting anxiously for it to dry, so I think that helps a lot in having a clean chimney.

I cleaned my chimmney this past year since it hadn't ever been done in the three years I have owned the house and I don't think for the two or so years before when the stove was installed. I was amazed that I got maybe a cup to a cup and a half at most. Everything was really clean. The only thing that I had ever cleaned before that was my cap and the spark screen. It seems like this gets pretty dirty.

I'm fairly sure we have a poured flue.
After burning a batch of bad wood, and then following it up
w/ good wood & some "hot" burns, the soot crumble-off & collects
in down in the clean-out door. Last time it was a small pail worth.
Usually quite a bit less & the remaining flue is almost always just
slightly dusty in appearance (viewing w/ a mirror).

Anyone else w/ experience in cleaning a "poured flue"???

Rob

I have an 22' 5.5" liner inside an outside type chimney and I sweep it twice per year. I usually get 1/2 gl per sweep of dry fine black/brown powder. The fine powder stuff is the least dangerous, sounds like your ok to me.

Once a year sweep with a total of about 2 cups of fine powder. That is coming from a 6" x 22 ft' pipe. To me, a gallon and a half sounds like a bunch. Just for reference, I also burn approx 5.5 cord (4x4x8) per year.

I jsut did mie last weekend, was the first time it has been done since installed last September, so it was way overdue. Anywyas, I jsut let it fall on the ground, but I would predict 1/2 gal maybe?? but it would probably suprise me if I actualy did catch it.

Geez are you guys gonna come unglued!
I cleaned mine Monday. Last time cleaned was 4/07
I think I been burning to much kindling!
I would bet I had 2 gallons of fine powder.
In fact it was a big old mess.
The first times I cleaned it I barely got any and it all stayed in the stove.
This time I did it and my box had the crap all over and in addition there was a fine layer of dust all over the top of the stove and hearth.

Lucky the dog is already black.

Status
Not open for further replies.