1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

1 or 2 dampers?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by eric859, Jan 17, 2011.

1. eric859

eric859 New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey
    So I just got a Osburn 2200 and really like it. It has a damper to control the air intake, but someone told me that I should have another damper between the insert and the liner controlling the amount of heat/air going up the liner. Is this true? Is it better to have a damper for both the incoming and outgoing air? If so, where do I buy a damper that connects between the insert and the liner?

Thanks
    Eric

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I have a free-standing stove, not an insert, but I think the controls are the same. I have air control for the primary air supply into the stove, no control for the secondary air into the stove, and no damper on the pipe. So far it is working fine. I think my setup is pretty typical for new wood stoves.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The damper on the stove is a bypass, to make for smokeless startups and no smoke spill on reloads. It's not quite the same as a stove pipe damper. Modern stoves usually don't need an inline pipe damper unless there is an exceptionally strong draft problem. Very few inserts have a pipe damper for the simple fact that access is lousy.
  4. Fsappo

Fsappo New Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    I would only install a second damper after consulting with the dealer your bought the insert from. In my experience, second to few but including BG, flue dampers are just not commonly used in fireplace inserts OR new free standing stoves.