1 trailer, 9 pallets (pics or it didn't happen)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
There's a landscape supply place near me that gives away old pallets. I've brought a number up to VT and love them for stacking wood. I headed over yesterday with my trailer. In the tradition of donig some firewood related work on the hottest day of the summer; yesterday delivered. :lol:

I managed to get 9 in there...I probably could have loaded another, but these have to make a two hour trip up north...better safe than sorry. I cut one down after I got it home...it was a bit wide for the trailer and caused the sides to bow out a bit.

This should give me more than enough for extra firewood. I'll probably make a sawbuck out of two of them.

Attachments

• IMG00018-20100707-1704.jpg
    IMG00018-20100707-1704.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG00019-20100707-1804.jpg
    IMG00019-20100707-1804.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 571
Good score.
You do know that, if you would have put the pallet on its end, you could have hauled probably 20 pallets.
Just trying to be helpful for your next score.

gandrimp said:
Good score.
You do know that, if you would have put the pallet on its end, you could have hauled probably 20 pallets.
Just trying to be helpful for your next score.

Thanks! I didn't even think of that. You know, this may be a great excuse to go back and get some more tomorrow...or even tonight....Hmmmmm. :coolsmirk:

I can get 18 in the back of my pickup if I stack them in just right. Burned some of the slats last year, but now I'm finding mill scraps easier to get and cost pennies. Love stacking wood on them though.

Skier76 said:
I headed over yesterday with my trailer. In the tradition of donig some firewood related work on the hottest day of the summer; yesterday delivered. :lol:

LOL ...I find myself doing the same thing. Work for 30 minutes, take a 30 minute break... then work for 20 minutes, take a 40 minute break and so on and so forth.

I'd like to see how the saw bucks turn out by the way.

Yup - stand 'em up! That is of course provided they aren't the 6' long type of pallets. I can get 12 or 13 of the 40" x 48" pallets in my 4x6' trailer. Stand 'em up, thread a tie down through them and cinch 'em tight front and back of the trailer. Get that tie down tight so when you 'pluck' it, it sounds like a guitar string and you are good to go.

Shari

Skier, I agree it is a good excuse to go back for more. Good luck.

Like this:

hickory_pallets.jpg

Thanks everyone! I'm going to bring this load up and see how I do. I "think" I may have enough after this. But we all know how that goes over time!

I'll post pics of the sawbuck. I got the idea from another member here who posted a pic awhile back.

I don't know what it is about hot days and firewood work....last year, I decided to split pine when it was 90+. This past weekend, I took down trees, limbed, bucked, processed...all in the heat and humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.