10/3/2 rule

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi.
My question is in regards to existing chimneys. Can you install a woodstove chimney within 10 feet of another chimney. I'm installing a 6 inch class A chimney within 10 feet of my existing (4 inch I think) furnace chimney. Is it allowed and if so won't they compete for the "2 feet above any structure within 10 feet" up and out to outer space?
Thanks.

If the Class A cap is within 10 feet of the furnace venting,
then it HAS to be two feet higher than that furnace vent
Simple as that.

Last edited:
Never knew that. Is it new? I guess the concern is a down draft from the output of one pulling in the exhaust of the other one.

What about all those fireplace with two fireplace and maybe an oil burner. All separate chimneys, but all top off within inches of each other. We had that for ever. Are they mandated to be removed?