10-CDV Englander using pellets. Question about ash.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost5849

Hearth Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Central NJ
I have the 10-cdv set up for burning pellets. I'm burning Fireside pellets and the stove settings were changed from corn to pellets. My question is, do I need to remove the ash pan cover plates when burning pellets? When I burn corn, the stirrer pushes the ash through the holes in the burn pot into the ash pan. Since the stirrer is removed for pellets, the ash bows up out of the pot then settles on top of the ash pan cover plates. After about 2 days of use, there is about an inch of ash on the plates and barely a few tablespoons in the ashpan.

Secondly, after a few days of burning, a solid lump of ash forms in the bottom of the burn pot. It blocks the air flowing through pot and makes my window soot up. I always run my room air setting higher than my fuel feed settings. I also have my 'low burn air setting' set to #9 (as per englander CS).

-The stove runs great and heats my 2000 square foot home nicely at this time of the year on about 1/2 to 3/4 bag a day; however once the ash builds up in the burn pot, it begins to become much less efficient.

do not remove the dump plugs when burning this unit , it will lead to a very dirty burn. however you can run the unit in the corn mode with pellets which allows the stirrer to turn and help break up the ash as it does with corn. some pellets tend to clump ash and others do not so running the stirrer can be a help if your ash is not filtering through on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.