100 degrees warmer inside than outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reaperman

Nov 1, 2006
Central Minn
A toasty 80 degrees on the button inside with a overnight low of -24, and a current temp of -21. Only a wood burner can proudly make that "claim to fame"! :)

Good work bud!

I slacked last night, brought in splits too long to fit the stove and so had to try to go overnight with two logs. Didn't work. Woke up to 58 in the living room. Oops.

Ya, that always tickles me to make the comparison. Most folks don't really take the temperature difference into consideration. Raising the temperature from 25 degrees to 75 is a 50 degree difference. From 10 to 75 is 65 degrees, etc.

Good job. Keep warm.

Reaperman, I am not doing as good as you. -17 here last night, and the gas boiler was heating the house when I got up this morning. That issue has been corrected and we are 74 degrees inside and about zero outside. Lake Superior kept us warmer than you last night.

I am truly impressed. What size house and how much wood did that take?

I'm doing good to maintain a 60 degree delta and I seriously doubt I could do better than 70 on a sunny day with no wind.

My home isn't all that big, 1300sq ft main level, plus full walkout basement, same dimensions. But my home is brand new last fall. I cant say enough about insulation. I actually let the fire go out this morning and the daytime highs were just below zero. I'm fortunate enough to get solar gain on these cold days with no clouds. Its 7:30pm now and the house is still 75 without heat all day. But the wife cooked a turkey for supper, so the oven did help in keeping it warm so far this evening. The unfinished basement does cool off when the wood furnace goes out. That bare cement floor has a way of sucking heat out from the basement. But at the present time the basement is 67. My wife has acutally started getting pi$$ed at me this winter because she complains the house is too hot! You dont hear that much. She is the type who wants to sleep with about 50 blankets on her in bed. So if she gets hot it's my fault, not all of those blankets. But I tell her everynight: " I didn't put much wood in the stove, it should go out pretty soon". She seems to fall for it so far. But she does shut our bedroom door and close the registers each night to keep the room cooler. Cant win!

Again, I give credit to a well insulated home more than I credit my wood furnace. I have a open floor plan upstairs, and I know if I had a decent wood stove just upstairs, I could heat the place with much less wood and most likely more heat. But then I would never be able to heat the basement sufficiently. My heat is dispersed throughout the home evenly, and I like that. My previous home was a temporary trailer home which I lived in for 10 years (temoprary, huh). I burned 24/7 with the living room about 80-90 and the back bedroom 65. Fans were blowing all over etc. The floor was freezing and the ceiling was just about on fire. The good old days.

Well done reaperman! I often make note of how much of a difference it is between inside and outside
(insert polite golf clap here....)

Way to work!

Best we could ever hope to try for would be about an 85 degree difference.
10 to 15 below is record breaking territory around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.