100* Delta

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
With the arctic blast that has dipped into NH this weekend there is a chance that the air temperature difference between the inside of the house and outdoors could reach 100 degrees. I've only reached that one other time in the past 17 years. Is this delta a frequent occurrence in the Midwest or Canada? I just think its a cool statistic and hoping to show off to my suburban family and friends.

Reactions: Highbeam
Unless you like it sauna hot in the house, I am not sure this will a be 100 degree night. I have seen it in the past when minus 30 would happen for a couple of days every year.

Unless you like it sauna hot in the house, I am not sure this will a be 100 degree night. I have seen it in the past when minus 30 would happen for a couple of days every year.
We live up above town and the airport NWS station so we are often a bit warmer than the official reported temp by a few degrees but this wind will be the equalizer. I have a comfortable 72* at the moment and -22* air temp.

Last edited:
I believe that’s more common further north, and further from large bodies of water. Central Canada, northern central US and Minnesota.

I’ve had many-30F nights, but at the old house that was farther inland.

I had it once......105°

The basement temp is the temp of my return air inside the blower box.

DSC00767.JPG

Reactions: Highbeam
In my neck of the woods in Western Wyoming we hit a 100+ degree delta every couple of years and there are places nearby that hit that at least once a year. We did hit it at least once this year when the outdoor temp hit -31. Another time I don't know the exact low, but I think it was more like -27 and so I don't think we quite hit it.

Growing up in southern NH, never came particularly close that I can remember.

Last night was the coldest one here that I can remember. -29c on the thermometer, but the wind is nasty. I went to bed around midnight with boiler storage charged. Over slept a bit and the house was cold at 7:30. First time for that. Down to the kitchen I go to find the kitchen door blown open a crack. Someone forgot to double check that last night. Fire going and recovering now. I'm just darn glad the power hasn't gone out. Yet at least. Never tried starting the gennies at -25 before. I know for sure it would at least be a serious struggle. And I'd have 3 places to try to prevent freezing up. One more day to get through. (This is all likely routine stuff for others elsewhere on the continent).

I got to -23 here in northern NH last night and missed it by 1*. Anyway, the feeling of warmth both physically and psychologically of running the stove on the most bitter night and sitting comfortably with my wife sipping hot chocolate on her part and a nice rye Old Fashioned on mine reminded me of how fortunate we are.

Due to our measuring technique of using Celsius vs Fahrenheit 100d difference takes some converting of numbers. A 50degree delta is pretty signicant when talking in Celsius. We did get very close to that the last couple of nights (-20ish and +23) and generally see it on a yearly basis for a 1-5 day weather event. When they sink in for a couple of weeks at a time it becomes painful and things start breaking. We live fairly south as far as canada goes, but the great lakes can draw I some pretty decent storms once or twice a season.