1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

100K Boiler through 1" pipe?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by SIERRADMAX, Nov 20, 2012.

1. SIERRADMAX

SIERRADMAX Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    RI
    I'll be plumbing an econoburn 100 to my existing supply/return headers off my oil boiler. However, these headers are 1" sch. 40 with 3/4" zone lines. The headers themselves are about 16" in length and I'll be adding a piece to loop the headers together to make the primary loop for the econoburn. I see many diagrams using 1-1/4" for the primary loop. In addition, after doing some research, 1" is good for about 70k+/- BTU/Hr. Should I replumb the supply/return for a complete 1-1/4" loop?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I personally would prefer 1-1/4" on the primary loop. I don't think you'll regret it especially if there is a chance you'll add any new loads in the future.
  3. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    Also, measure the I.D. I've seen inch and 1/4 pex actually be closer to 1 inch ID.
  4. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Right, if it's type M copper, 1" is fine. If it's pex, then 1-1/4" is what is needed. This is a small run, and 1" copper is good for 10gpm, in a 20F delt world this is 100Mbtu.

TS
  5. SIERRADMAX

SIERRADMAX Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    RI
    Sorry... I should have been more clear! Both headers are steel.
  6. The headers should be fine. But I would use 1.25 for the near boiler piping until you get to where you can add in tees for future storage.
    flyingcow likes this.