12 Ton Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
I was at Home Depot last night and saw they have two 12 ton gas log splitters on clearance for 699.00 I was wondering. Is a 12 ton log splitter good enough for an average home owner? I realize this isnt that big but I dont do a lot of major splitting. Maybe a cord or two a year. Im not sure on the brand name, I just know it had a Briggs and Stratton engine. Anyone know on average how big a log dia log this type of splitter might handle? I realize it depends on the type of wood etc too. I had bought that little Ryobi 4 ton electric and it wouldnt split a lot of harder woods so I returned it.

What kind and size of wood do you get?

Is it the 'Brave' unit?
That is a tiny, pretty slow, but portable and easy to store. It has a vertical shaft engine, single stage pump, and 3 inch cylinder.
Not for big stuff, but for 12-16 inches an under they work pretty well, with patience.
The big selling point is small size, wieght and space for storage.

Couple cords a year, might consider just buying the wood.
The plug in electrics fit this application nicely, they are just too low on power.

It is called the "Quick Split" log splitter. Here are some of the specs. (not much specific)

LOG SPLITTER 12 TON VIPER 196CC
Dual Splitting Height

Specifications
Engine: Viper 4-cycle 196cc
Tires: 33.0" wide (ouside tire to tire)
Lentgh: 82.5"
Height: 32" to ground (from highest point), when in the upright operating position
Tire size 13x 5.00 x 6
Shipping Weight: 221 lbs

well, if your not gettign logs over say 15" in diameter it would be fine

Adirondackwoodburner said:
well, if your not gettign logs over say 15" in diameter it would be fine
For stringy Elm, subtract 10 inches.

I'm thinking that for another $300 - $400 you can get a 20 -22 ton unit that would also do vertical if you're into that.

I would agree. TSC has a 22 ton that you can grab for $999..the Husky splitter is the best for the money I think

I can split anything I throw, coax or roll on my 20 ton machine. If you are talking one cord or even a bit more per year with no monster logs, I think you will be fine. I have no idea how capable this particular unit is but it would seem to suit your needs and not be too big or heavy to move around easily by hand.

It is pretty amazing what little splitters can do. I split 5 cord with one this weekend and only had to set a dozen or so rounds aside for my bigger splitter. It is nice to be able to use 2 hp of electric instead of 35 hp of diesel for the majority of my wood this year. For a couple hundred more than what you are looking at, Rampslitter will deliver their 12 ton electric.

Attachments

• IMAGE_101.jpg
    IMAGE_101.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 633
I am cynical by nature, but not impressed by the link.
a. no mention of pump gpm, or if two stage pump. assume it is single stage
b. no mention of cylinder diameter bore
c. no info on the circuit at all. filtration, types of hoses, tank capacity, etc. No filter.
d. Viper engine is I think the china clone of honda. Leads me to think many china parts.
e. If the main attraction of it is the fact that the beam can be high or low, they are scratching the bottom of the barrel for marketing sales points. Beam height would be a nice feature, but not at the exclusion of the more important functional items.
Realistically, anything that is hard to lift onto the beam won't be split by 12 tons, so I am not sure of the advantage of the low beam position anyway.
f. appears pretty lightly built just from the pics. certain thing stand out to me.

This Brave EZ split is the one I thought you saw. It is tiny, the trunnion mounted cylinder collapses for storage, and it's advantage is size and space. Only 8 tons though.

http://www.braveproducts.com/itemde...tegory&categoryid=103&parentid;=&searchtext;=

To me, the Brave EZ split 'might' be a fit for certain niches.
However, IMO, the china one you saw seems to take up the space of larger machine, thus nullifying the advantage of storage and portability, yet is under powered for doing most larger tasks. It's cost approaches a stronger unit that woudl not be physically much larger. And I'd suspect resale value would be much less since it is a specialized niche customer that would want it.

I'd go the 20T, 4 inch bore cylinder, FOR SURE two stage pump, and 8 hp 16 gpm or so if possible. I do 90% horizontal, but a H/V model is pretty essential in smaller machines. (Larger wedge on beam units will be H only, but that is another topic.)

I'd pass on the one you saw.

.02 kcj

Thanks for all the input. The more I looked at that "quick split" it looked kinda wimpy and took up a lot of space. I ended up going to Tractor supply and got the Husky 22 ton. Price was good and the extra power surely will come in handy. Thanks again for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.