13/64” files...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dieselhead

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2011
NE
Just looking to see if anyone has any recent feedback on different brands of files. I’ve been getting the Stihl 3 packs but not afraid to check out other brands as well.

Pferd and save edge makes some good files. Oregon are ok

Reactions: JRHAWK9
+1 on that recommendation. Both files have a good bite and quickly put on sharp edge, and they last.
Although reportedly Save Edge discontinued chain saw file lineup.
I haven't tried Amick's recommend alternative - Vallorbe files.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I use Save Edge.

Anyone ever ran notch bran up against pfred?

Just looking to see if anyone has any recent feedback on different brands of files. I’ve been getting the Stihl 3 packs but not afraid to check out other brands as well.
None of them seem to last as long as they used to. A couple of tips on making them last though. I put mine in a plastic straw so they don’t get dull rattling around in my tool box. And never drag them across the tooth on the backstroke.

I ended up ordering 12 pfreds. Should last me many years. Thanks for the responses.