1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

15 hour burn on 3 to 4 logs

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by AppalachianStan, Dec 3, 2011.

1. AppalachianStan

AppalachianStan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clover SC
    I was reading the newer owners manual and this site. http://www.servicesales.com/appalachian-52bay-wood-stove-p-53.html
    After read on here about the Blaze King I that I would look at my stove some more. I just can't see 15 hour burn time on 3 to 4 logs when everyone on here loads up their stoves.
    Is this possible?

here is the page from the manual.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Not sure if I'm missing something but I only see where it mentions 3 or 4 logs will provide heat for several hours.
  3. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I'm seeing the actual manual saying that 3- 4logs will burn for several hours. But that website saysup to 15. I'm no expert, but 15 hrs seems a bit long. Mayb thats with a few hours of residual heat left over on the stove.
  4. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC
    The web site I listed say 15 hour burn time.
    As for what the manual says my stove is getting the 2 to 3 hour burn time. mmmm
  5. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC
    So with what the manual says I should follow right. So I can't load up my wood stove. Just 3 to 4 logs. How big is the logs? mmmmm!
  6. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I'm not familiar with the stove but the manual is probably just using the 3-4 logs as an example of what you can expect for a few logs. To achieve a 15 hour burn time it's going to require a full load of wood.
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

There isn't 15hrs burn on a Blaze King with 3-4 logs... that would just fill a corner of the stove!
  8. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC
    I hope you are right on that. You know I have not seen in the manual the expected burn time for the stove.
    So let say 4 logs =2 hours burn time with cats. I get 2 hours just a bite more on 3,4,6 splits of burn time with out cats.
  9. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC
    I thought so it sounds like hipe that my stove has a 15 hour burn time. 8 or maybe 10 but I can't see 15 hour burn time. I have seen some where 18 hour burn time but can find it.
  10. WoodpileOCD

WoodpileOCD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NC
    How do you have any idea what it's capabilities are if you have never burned it with cats in it? Don't know how big your firebox is but I can get 12 to 15 hours from mine and still have coal bed left. Not a lot of heat but can restart without matches.
  11. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC
    Na I so do not know if it will burn 15 hours that would be nice. But one day I will Know what it is like to burn cats. I would be so happy with a 8 hour burn. :lol:
    Well the size of my fire box, 12" tall x 17" deep x now it get odd in the middle it is 24" wide but the back is 16" wide and the fort is 22".
    So what do you think if 4 log = 2hour burn time. Will 8 logs =4 hour burn time
    On 6 split on hot coals at 300* I have gotten it up to 550*. the hole burn lasted about about 3 hours.
  12. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Its a Blaze King, you can get a 10 hour burn on a couple of rolled up newspapers :cheese:
  13. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Stan, you can't compare the performance, anticipated or actual, with another cat stove. There are a lot of differences between the old Appalachian and a new Blaze King. There are a lot of differences in wood species, weather conditions, and marketing departments. What you get out of your stove is what you get. When it was new maybe it got 10 hrs out of a load of wood in milder temps, maybe 12? In cold weather when the stove is being pushed harder those numbers could be half that.
  14. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC
    I really wasn't compare the BK with the Appalachian 52. It just got me thinking about looking at my stove some more be for I give up on it. If I can get half what the BK gets in burn that would make me happy. Now as for my stove it say 15 hour burn time. the manual say 3 to 4 log. I take the manual saying I can only burn 3 to 4 logs at at a time. So if that is true how can I get a 15 hour burn time. That all.
  15. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Did you install the cat in your stove?
  16. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC
    No :-S . Got to save up for them or maybe Santa will bring them. I was able to get the gaskets for the stove. Working on getting the gaskets in right now.
  17. North of 60

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Until you do this, you cant compare anything to anything. You are only operating with less than 1/2 the stove this way.
  18. AppalachianStan

Loc:
    Clover SC
    So until I have the cats then I will know how long of a burn time I will have.
  19. North of 60

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Until You proofread your posts before posting, I will try to imagine if you are asking a question or figure out what you are trying to say.
    :lol: