15 hour burn on 3 to 4 logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppalachianStan

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2011
Clover SC
I was reading the newer owners manual and this site. http://www.servicesales.com/appalachian-52bay-wood-stove-p-53.html
After read on here about the Blaze King I that I would look at my stove some more. I just can't see 15 hour burn time on 3 to 4 logs when everyone on here loads up their stoves.
Is this possible?

here is the page from the manual.

Attachments

• Appalachian_52bay_operation.jpg
    Appalachian_52bay_operation.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 612
Not sure if I'm missing something but I only see where it mentions 3 or 4 logs will provide heat for several hours.

I'm seeing the actual manual saying that 3- 4logs will burn for several hours. But that website saysup to 15. I'm no expert, but 15 hrs seems a bit long. Mayb thats with a few hours of residual heat left over on the stove.

rdust said:
Not sure if I'm missing something but I only see where it mentions 3 or 4 logs will provide heat for several hours.

The web site I listed say 15 hour burn time.
As for what the manual says my stove is getting the 2 to 3 hour burn time. mmmm

So with what the manual says I should follow right. So I can't load up my wood stove. Just 3 to 4 logs. How big is the logs? mmmmm!

I'm not familiar with the stove but the manual is probably just using the 3-4 logs as an example of what you can expect for a few logs. To achieve a 15 hour burn time it's going to require a full load of wood.

There isn't 15hrs burn on a Blaze King with 3-4 logs... that would just fill a corner of the stove!

rdust said:
I'm not familiar with the stove but the manual is probably just using the 3-4 logs as an example of what you can expect for a few logs. To achieve a 15 hour burn time it's going to require a full load of wood.
I hope you are right on that. You know I have not seen in the manual the expected burn time for the stove.
So let say 4 logs =2 hours burn time with cats. I get 2 hours just a bite more on 3,4,6 splits of burn time with out cats.

NATE379 said:
There isn't 15hrs burn on a Blaze King with 3-4 logs... that would just fill a corner of the stove!
I thought so it sounds like hipe that my stove has a 15 hour burn time. 8 or maybe 10 but I can't see 15 hour burn time. I have seen some where 18 hour burn time but can find it.

How do you have any idea what it's capabilities are if you have never burned it with cats in it? Don't know how big your firebox is but I can get 12 to 15 hours from mine and still have coal bed left. Not a lot of heat but can restart without matches.

WoodpileOCD said:
How do you have any idea what it's capabilities are if you have never burned it with cats in it? Don't know how big your firebox is but I can get 12 to 15 hours from mine and still have coal bed left. Not a lot of heat but can restart without matches.
Na I so do not know if it will burn 15 hours that would be nice. But one day I will Know what it is like to burn cats. I would be so happy with a 8 hour burn. :lol:
Well the size of my fire box, 12" tall x 17" deep x now it get odd in the middle it is 24" wide but the back is 16" wide and the fort is 22".
So what do you think if 4 log = 2hour burn time. Will 8 logs =4 hour burn time
On 6 split on hot coals at 300* I have gotten it up to 550*. the hole burn lasted about about 3 hours.

Its a Blaze King, you can get a 10 hour burn on a couple of rolled up newspapers :cheese:

Stan, you can't compare the performance, anticipated or actual, with another cat stove. There are a lot of differences between the old Appalachian and a new Blaze King. There are a lot of differences in wood species, weather conditions, and marketing departments. What you get out of your stove is what you get. When it was new maybe it got 10 hrs out of a load of wood in milder temps, maybe 12? In cold weather when the stove is being pushed harder those numbers could be half that.

BeGreen said:
Stan, you can't compare the performance, anticipated or actual, with another cat stove. There are a lot of differences between the old Appalachian and a new Blaze King. There are a lot of differences in wood species, weather conditions, and marketing departments. What you get out of your stove is what you get. When it was new maybe it got 10 hrs out of a load of wood in milder temps, maybe 12? In cold weather when the stove is being pushed harder those numbers could be half that.

I really wasn't compare the BK with the Appalachian 52. It just got me thinking about looking at my stove some more be for I give up on it. If I can get half what the BK gets in burn that would make me happy. Now as for my stove it say 15 hour burn time. the manual say 3 to 4 log. I take the manual saying I can only burn 3 to 4 logs at at a time. So if that is true how can I get a 15 hour burn time. That all.

north of 60 said:
Did you install the cat in your stove?
No :-S . Got to save up for them or maybe Santa will bring them. I was able to get the gaskets for the stove. Working on getting the gaskets in right now.

AppalachianStan said:
north of 60 said:
No :-S . Got to save up for them or maybe Santa will bring them. I was able to get the gaskets for the stove. Working on getting the gaskets in right now.

Until you do this, you cant compare anything to anything. You are only operating with less than 1/2 the stove this way.

north of 60 said:
AppalachianStan said:
north of 60 said:

Until you do this, you cant compare anything to anything. You are only operating with less than 1/2 the stove this way.

So until I have the cats then I will know how long of a burn time I will have.

AppalachianStan said:
north of 60 said:
AppalachianStan said:
north of 60 said:

So until I have the cats then I will know how long of a burn time I will have.

Until You proofread your posts before posting, I will try to imagine if you are asking a question or figure out what you are trying to say.
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.