1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

1500 - 2000 degrees and hours of radiant heat

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by firecracker_77, Jan 15, 2012.

1. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Yep, I'd love to build a house around one.
  3. firecracker_77

Loc:
    I'm 34 years old. If I made it a life goal, I could maybe have one someday especially if I was doing much of the labor. They are quite beautiful, but the only drawback is that you don't have a fire all day long like in a stove. That's sad!
  4. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    I can't listen righ now, DH is already asleep and I know that would wake him...

I am wondering if it's basically what my grandfather built in my grandparents house. It was a HUGE central fireplace-actually, two, but they only used the one in the basement when they were building the house. It was massive-a whole wall in the living room and also the kitchen (on opposite sides)-basically the center of the house from the basement up was one huge stone mass (it was a ranch). The living room side had the fireplace, which was average sized. If you ran it all day, the stones would radiate heat until the next morning. I remember getting up and going in there, and touching them-they would still be warm, even in the kitchen. I wish I had pics on my computer.
  5. firecracker_77

Loc:
    Sounds cool. I think the masonry is all based on having internal switchbacks to route the flue gases and trap the heat.
  6. jrcurto

jrcurto Member

Loc:
    Southern Connecticut
    Some day. Looked at some of the other links on that youtube page, unreal. Just to have all of that stone work in the house would be cool never mind the heat potential.
  7. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Anyone know how hot all that mass gets to on the outside and how long it stays up to temp?
  8. Martin Strand III

Martin Strand III New Member

Loc:
    NW MI near nowhere
    A few exterior hot spots, directly outside the inner heat exchange channels,
    I've never had over 170* F. Most of the masonry gets to 150 - 160* F range
    peaking about 2 - 3 hours after the fire. It is about 90 - 100* F after 12 hours.
    If it's below 20* F outside, then it's time for another fire. Below 0* F,
    one fire every 8 hours.

This keeps my great room 68 - 72* F.

Aye,
    Marty
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Not only takes a long time to heat up but also a long time to cool. Seems someone said 12 hours to cool down.