1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

16" Log Saw

Post in 'The Gear' started by neverrude, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neverrude

neverrude Member

Loc:
    NJ
    Anybody use one of these and if so how’d you like it? I have an opportunity to pick one up new for $100. Pit Bull Model # CHIM00014. 120V, 16" blade w/40 teeth.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PeteD

PeteD New Member

Loc:
    Northeastern MA
    Seems like you would only be able to cut relatively small logs with a 16-inch blade. Personally, I can't see the benefit over a chainsaw.

Pete
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If I was closer to the railroad salvage store I would pick me one up for shortening splits that I screwed up and cut too long.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    If it has power, it should be ideal.

The benefits over a chainsaw is that it is faster and less waste (smaller cut so less sawdust). If anyone has ever used a buzz saw they will understand just how much faster this is on the smaller wood. Naturally, on the butt ends of the trees that will be too large for cutting with this jig, but cutting small trees and cutting the limbs with this can really speed things up; especially with two or three people. We used to use a buzz saw mounted on the front of the tractor when our two sons were still home. We could cut a lot of wood per day this way! A lot.
  5. neverrude

neverrude Member

Loc:
    NJ

That’s were I’m headed right after work. :)
  6. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    neverrude...save your money...that's a bs gimmick.
  7. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    sounds like pvc pipe cutting blade and set up (but I use a finish saw for the little I do)
  8. neverrude

neverrude Member

Loc:
    NJ

Wish I would have see your post before I went to pick it up. Drove and extra hour round trip after work to pick it and spent about half hour putting it together without a manual.

When I spoke to someone at the store yesterday he told me it would cut up to 8", it would even cut through a 4x4 because the guard kept hitting the nut that holds the blade on.
    The motor took a few seconds to build up too speed and started to stall after it cut about 3".
    It’s going back to store ASAP :mad:
  9. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I think billb had it right. Sounds like it's for cutting plastic pipe. That's a lot easier task than cutting wood.
  10. neverrude

neverrude Member

Loc:
    NJ
    This is the add that was posted on craiglist.

Log Saw for sale, Pit Bull Model # CHIM00014. 120V, 16" blade w/40 teeth. Was $169, down to $99! Available at Railroad Salvage, 557 Englishtown Rd., Monroe, NJ 08831. Open 7 days, Thurs. thru Sunday 9-6, Monday thru Wed. 9-9. PLEASE CALL BEFORE COMING TO THE STORE.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sounds like the wrong blade and too light of a motor. Good idea though if it were larger.
  12. neverrude

neverrude Member

Loc:
    NJ
    I agree, i'm going too keep on looking for one that'll do the job and cut up to 6"
  13. neverrude

neverrude Member

Loc:
    NJ
    I just got off the phone with a manger from Railroad Salvage. They refuse to take back the saw because he said they sold at coast to me. Just be aware how Railroad Salvage operates. :mad:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.