1879 Fireplace - Monogram?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessie

Dec 27, 2011
St. Paul, MN
My husband and I recently purchased an 1879 Victorian home that has two fireplaces. One of them has the initials "K.I.P." prominently stamped into the concrete inside the fireplace. We would like to know what this is - does anyone out there know of any such convention? Did families have their monograms imprinted into fireplaces when they were built? Is it more likely to be the builder of the fireplace? I have done some research online, but so far haven't found anything. The house is in St. Paul, MN. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Hmm... No idea myself. Someone may come along with an insight, but if not another place to ask is in the forums over at oldhouseweb.com

Status
Not open for further replies.