1920s install quote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaro40

Mar 18, 2015
Missouri
my wife and I want to remove an electric insert in an updated fireplace box and get a wood burning insert. I was directed to the quadrafire voyager based on fireplace hearth size and usage. At least, I want real fire for ambiance, at best, I want to make the hvac work less in winter. Overall, this will be more of a luxory buy then a necessity. I just cant stand having a cheap electric box in a huge fireplace surround :).

Chimney is i good shape but unlined...so will need a new liner. For the install and quadrafire voyager, its about $6k plus or minus a few hundred.

The company is very nice and knowledgeable, and also one of the only ones in the area.

House is about 2,400 sq ft total, two levels....very high celings. How should I know if the voyager is a good buy? Even though this is a luxory, i dont want something that is good looks only.

Have you checked the review section here?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/ratings.php
This is not a very large insert. You may want a larger stove if one will fit. That should provide longer burn times and more heat. Cathedral ceilings can make the house harder to heat. The warm air is going to want to pocket up near the ceiling. Some ceiling fans will help stir up the air if used right.

A couple larger stoves to consider would be the Enviro Boston 1700 and the Pacific Energy Summit.

Status
Not open for further replies.