1929 Northeast Ohio Colonial with weird small Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JackTheBaker

Jan 18, 2024
Ohio
1000007169.jpg1000007168.jpg1000007164.jpg1000007441.png1000007452.png1000007453.png

Last edited:
That is an odd one. Unfortunately, just because someone built it, doesn't make it safe or legal.

Reactions: JackTheBaker
Yeah definitely not a functional fireplace at all

Reactions: JackTheBaker
We had something like that in our house growing up in Cleveland. Made to run a gas heater. (assuming yours does go all the way up and out)

We had something like that in our house growing up in Cleveland. Made to run a gas heater. (assuming yours does go all the way up and out)
No heater can run through that

That is an odd one. Unfortunately, just because someone built it, doesn't make it safe or legal.
Thank you for weighing in. Unfortunately this raises more questions than answers.

Makes me wonder why this fireplace was built to begin with, how was he house heated before central heating, and what that square vent is for.

I was hoping to save some money but I'm afraid I'll have to get a professional out here to take a look.

Thanks! Yep on the east side. I can't tell if this was originally for gas, I don't see any gas lines near this.

And there's an air intake and that square exhaust flue but not enclosed by a chimney. Raises more questions than answers for sure!