1. gparzych

gparzych
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2012
    Loc:
    CT
    Hi,
    I've been looking at some older Jotul 3's lately and I have my eye on one. I went to take a look and the top of the stove was detached and there is not a top baffle plate underneath...do these stoves have top baffles? Can anyone point me to an exploded view of a 1980's Jotul 3?

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    There were variations on this model. I don't think the original 3 had a baffle, but the 3TD and 3TDIC had a top baffle.

3. gparzych

gparzych
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2012
    Loc:
    CT
    This is definitely a straight up "3" model. I'm looking at buying it (used obviously) for hearth mount in my fireplace. I want to gain some heat when we're having a fire instead of spending $$ to have a fire.

It looks like there are mounts cast into each side (inside) for a top baffle, but I'm thinking if the original 3 did not have a top baffle they probably used the same shell for the other models with a baffle so the mounts are still there. Seeing the mounts made me suspicious that a part was missing, but I've heard from a few sources that this model may not have had a top baffle at all (but I can't find an exploded view, or a "definitive" answer!).

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  5. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Hey, I just checked woodmans and it looks like the Jotul 3AP (ashpan version) did have a baffle and a cat. It's part #76 and they have it listed for $96.93. I'm not sure how this would work in a non-cat version. You might want to make up a temporary baffle out of steel and experiment to see.