1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

1985 Blaze King Pincess Model PEJ 1002

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jesseberg, Nov 28, 2010.

1. jesseberg

jesseberg New Member

Loc:
    Washington
    Hi,
    I have heard BK are good stoves. Looking at an unused 1985 princess model with a catalyst and thermostat for $900. Wondering it anyone has intel on whether this model has guts and efficiency of the currently produced models? I know the outside has changed over the years. Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mbutts

mbutts Member

Loc:
    central nebraska
    Welcome to the forum. There should be someone with one that could comment. Thought I wud bump ur thread a bit. I have a non cat BK. So cant help u there. I am sure it is better than my smoke dragon. I guess depends what features are most important to you like the large firebox, ect.
  3. daleeper

daleeper Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC MO
    By unused, do you mean never had a fire in it? Price seems rather high for a stove that old. Does that include the fan?

I don't have any personal experience with these stoves, but I can tell you by looking at the manual, and having seen both models on a showroom floor not burning, that the combustor design has changed on the inside. How that effects efficiency I don't know. If you don't care about having a glass door, and are sure the stove including the cat is ready to burn and in good shape, I would be trying to work that price closer to $500. I know a new BK is pricey, but I think for $900, I would be holding out for a later model. For perspective, I purchased a Blaze King Royal Heir RHT-2200, mfg. in 1986 for $250, with a good cat in it, showing a bit of wear, but still in real good shape, and has been working pretty good so far, but not fully cold tested yet. The combustor design is similar to the new model King and Princess, and it works real good, only problem is a small firebox compared to them.

Hopefully someone will come along with some experience with the 1002 and later stoves.
  4. BigBlockChevy

BigBlockChevy New Member

Loc:
    Lewis & Clark Country
    The 1002 is a great stove. It had a round combustor and was mounted horizontally in the firebox. I have seen several in use and never heard a complaint. Blaze King boasts the newer models are even better designed. Check out the EPA web site to make certain it is EPA approved. Just Google "EPA APPROVED WOOD STOVES".