1990 Lopi Freedom Restoration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

larboc

Oct 6, 2014
Hancock, MI
Starting the rebuild of a Lopi Freedom I found on CL. Older, and has seen some use but it was in good shape and looks to be the same as the brand new ones except for a different style of ash lip. My goal is to make it into as good as a brand new stove.

Got all the old fire brick removed-had to break half of it away. I plan on using regular 9x4.5 splits from the local block shop, assuming it's the same stuff. The metal is solid behind the brick but I'm going to wire brush it and give it a coat of paint before installing the new bricks.

The two angle iron pieces that hold the upper fire brick up have sagged over time from heat, are these any thing special or can I just make new ones from regular hot rolled angle iron? They would work as is but I want it like new.

Is there a reason to cement in fire brick? It almost seemed like they had been they were in there so tight.

"Before" pictures.
1025142221c.jpg 1025142221b.jpg 1025142221a.jpg 1025142221.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.