1st clean done on the PE Super27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynnergy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2012
Coast, BC
Thank you to all at the Hearth for the hints and tips!

The sooteater performed admirably for a bottom-up cleaning after I got the plastic cords trimmed to size (manage to get two sets by not following the instructions as per advice here).

The baffle needed a fair bit of wiggling before I could get the pin out, but it came out eventually.

I tried one member's suggestion of a bucket with a small hole in the side placed over the flue hole in the stove box (to keep to mess contained). I did manage to slide the rods through, but it was a pain in the a** so eventually I gave up and just slid the sooteater straight up the flue.

There really was very little mess, although my creosote was the black stuff with small flakes in, so maybe that's tidier to clean than the brown soot which experienced Hearthers aspire to. I got about 3/4 cup, which I was happy with considering we are weekend-only burners (lots of very cold starts) and we had pretty damp wood this year.

I thought the baffle gasket actually made it through the cleaning fine initially, but I went to put it back and it fell apart in my hands. Next weekend will be my attempt at a Hogwildz-like homemade gasket: https://www.hearth.com/talk/index.p...ustom-baffle-gasket,-shes-cooking-now..23717/

We still have about 1/2 cord of mixed wood from last year, and we've been busy cutting and splitting another 2 cords of Doug fir from logs that have been down for at least 10 years. Those are now in the new 'woodshed' (really a frame with a roof - no sides) out of the rain - ready for the summer westerlies to finish the drying process! (hopefully). Regular overnight burns with a stove stuffed with dry Doug fir is my goal for next year.

Thanks again to all of the posters here - all of the advice and pics are so great for a first-timer like me!

Last edited:
It gets easier every year as you learn what works, and what doesn't. The folks here, (and the cost of a sweep) gave me the courage to get up on the roof and do my own sweep.....love this place:cool:

I got about 3/4 cup, which I was happy with considering we are weekend-only burners (lots of very cold starts) and we had pretty damp wood this year.
Congrats, that is really a low amount for a lot of cold starts and not quite dry wood. You seem to be burning really well.
I thought the baffle gasket actually made it through the cleaning fine initially, but I went to put it back and it fell apart in my hands. Next weekend will be my attempt at a Hogwildz-like homemade gasket:

Did you also stuff a rag in the air channel in the back before cleaning the flue? Otherwise, some of that soot may have fallen in there. Don't forget to also clean the boost air channel in the front if you have not done so yet. I did not even know you could lift that up if I would not have read that here one time. (The Super is great, the manual not so much.)

Reactions: Dix
Status
Not open for further replies.