1st insert install - Lopi Answer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcleaver

Dec 10, 2010
vashon,wa
I just purchased a Lopi answer and am going to put it into my fireplace.The damper readMajestic special 1922 (the year the house was built) it has a 4" opening.Do I have to remove it? Is there a flex pipethat will go thru the opening? A friend just mentioned getting a chimmney linner.I also want to know if single wall pipe is ok to run up the chimmmney.Any advice to safley install my stove and save money would be of great assistance.Thankyou.

Welcome. 4" is pretty narrow. It would probably be best to remove the damper. In order to answer the next questions we need more information. Is the chimney tile-lined? How tall is it and is this on the outside or inside of the house?

Regardless, the chimney will need to be completely cleaned before installing the liner.

Thankyou.The chimmney is on the outside of the house,from the damper to the top is 18'.I had the chimmney cleaned 3 months ago and inspected.I've had small fires in it since then,It seems clean.the chimmney is brick.Is the dammper hard to remove?Thankyou again Bill.

With an exterior, unlined chimney you'll need a 6" insulated liner. I would not burn any more fires in there without recleaning it if the stove is going in.

Damper removal depends on the installation. It's a dirty job, but can be done in an hour or two access is ok and you have the right tools. Some are bolted to the pivot shaft and removing those bolts will drop it. Or, a good hacksaw with a fresh, coarse blade can sometimes cut right through the pivot shafts. A torch is even faster, though some folks use a grinder or cutoff wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.