Lopi Evergreen Insert-runaway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BucksPA

Feb 9, 2023
Bucks County, PA
Hello,
We purchased a Lopi Evergreen insert last March and had it installed professionally. We have a 25-30 foot straight vent.

We love the stove. However, this stove runs away from me very easily. I have only been burning maple and ash so far this year, but I will move to oak soon. Typically, I will do top-down light, burn first load with both dampers wide open to get stove hot and create coal bed. Reload 2-3 splits when stove temp is 300-400, close air damper halfway, then close air and secondary damper when temp is rolling around 400-500.

Problem is when I load for night. Example-last night I loaded insert with 3 large pieces when stove temp was at 350. After a few minutes of half open air damper, I closed it off when temp reached 400. Things looked good, but 20 minutes later the firebox was raging and stove face temp read 700+. Even when both dampers are full closed, we can see the blowtorch flame that ultimately runs away.

Your thoughts or advice?
Anyone else experience this with this stove?
Does this have to do with type of wood I am burning?
Shutting down too late?
Need additional damper? Air leak?
Other?

Thanks.

If the liner is 30' it's going to need a damper to tame the draft. In the meantime, burn down the coals further before the reload and pack the firebox tightly with minimal air spaces between the splits.

Burn down the coals by putting a couple of thin 2" splits on them and open up the air 50%. Let the insert cool down a bit more, say 300º or even 250º. Then, open up the air 100%, rake the remaining hot coals forward and load. Close down the air quickly but in increments as the fire gets strong. Close it down until the flames start to get lazy, then wait until they regain strength then repeat.

Went through this process a few times in the last week with mixed results. Most recently, on Saturday night I let the stove cool to 250 and loaded it up tight-maple and ash. Lit right away and I started to shut down in minutes. Flame progressed nicely and temps were good.

However, even after I shut down air all the way, the stove took off and front of insert above door was north of 700 within 15 minutes. The interesting thing is the stove ran away well after I shut the air. Love the stove but getting frustrated. Hopefully moving to oak will help and our installer is coming to clean the chimney, stove and test draft in a couple weeks.

Hello,
We purchased a Lopi Evergreen insert last March and had it installed professionally. We have a 25-30 foot straight vent.

We love the stove. However, this stove runs away from me very easily. I have only been burning maple and ash so far this year, but I will move to oak soon. Typically, I will do top-down light, burn first load with both dampers wide open to get stove hot and create coal bed. Reload 2-3 splits when stove temp is 300-400, close air damper halfway, then close air and secondary damper when temp is rolling around 400-500.

Problem is when I load for night. Example-last night I loaded insert with 3 large pieces when stove temp was at 350. After a few minutes of half open air damper, I closed it off when temp reached 400. Things looked good, but 20 minutes later the firebox was raging and stove face temp read 700+. Even when both dampers are full closed, we can see the blowtorch flame that ultimately runs away.

Your thoughts or advice?
Anyone else experience this with this stove?
Does this have to do with type of wood I am burning?
Shutting down too late?
Need additional damper? Air leak?
Other?

Thanks.
Is it the newer version with the catalytic?

The reason I ask is a Lopi dealer told me the new catalytic version is much less likely to run away..... I don't know enough to know if that's true or not

Runaway is an ambiguous term. Some times a new burner thinks the stove is "running away" when actually, they are for the first time experiencing a robust secondary burn. At other times, the runaway can be due to inexperience when the operator does not turn down the air far enough or quickly enough or is burning many thin (2-3") pieces of wood. That said, a stove can overfire if the draft is too strong. Typically this can happend with flue systems that are taller than about 25'. In the last case, sometimes a draft damper needs to be installed in the stove pipe.

I agree with the ambiguity, and I often question whether my stove is running away or doing exactly what it should be doing. There are times when it is a hot, controllable burn with good secondaries. But many times it is clearly running away.

I agree that the most likely cause is strong draft. A flue damper is not an option with our insert setup. I will look into a more restrictive cap.

You mentioned secondary burn-at what point during the overnight load process do you close your bypass damper? Established flame? Certain temp? Same time as closing primary air?

Last edited:
I had this issue with an insert. The problem was my wood was way too dry.
If it really takes off and you get excited... throw in a chunk of green wood in there. Doesn't need to be big. The moisture tames the fire immediately.