1st Pellet Stove - Greenway Pellets ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phil san

Jul 15, 2008
South Shore, MA
Ordered an Enviro Empress insert for August delivery. Thought it would be easy to get pellets - yeah right!

Pelletsales.com has Greenway hardwood premiums available right now. All I can find out is they are manufactured in TN
by a hardwood floor dealer for last 2 years.
I'm ready to hit the buy icon because I don't want a new stove and no fuel.

Been burning wood for decades, my first pellet expierience coming up.

dont sweat it... there's options

south shore wood pellet is near you..
there's a farm supply place in foxboro that has stock
look on the price section of this site for people who spot them and report in.... the hard part was getting a stove...pellets are easier right now....

I had no problem finding pellets and they will be delivered in December, my stove is being installed in January.

I found my pellets by going to New England Pellets, www.pelletheat.com, and looking for a local dealer by zip code and distance. It is a great resource. It will get you started and you will quickly see that you have alot of options. I found Pelletsales.com ~10% more expensive then my local dealer. www.Pelletsdirect.com out of Oxford MA.

Have fun!

Thanks to all - Hey, called everywhere and said none in stock or November.

Hit the button yesterday for the Greenways at pelletsales.com. They called this am - "Delivery tomorrow".

Wow!

Phil,

Have you been burning your Greenway pellets? Any problems?

I have two skid coming tomorrow from pelletsales.com

Yes - problems. They S -- ck! Log time wood burner, first year with pellets. Been burning for about 2 weeks now.

Going to do a comparison write up beginning of next week after a few trials of other pellts. Bought 2 tons of the Greenway.
1/2" to 1 1/2 " long, med dark in color. Well they do BURN. I have my stove adjusted with a Mag to the mfg setting.

On low 1, they go out after an hour. Low 2 a small constant flame and some heat. Long burn on med and I have good flame and decent heat. The heat output and problem with burning on low ( even with adjustments ) made me wish I never got the pellet stove.

Finally got 2.7 tons of Clear fire and wow!!!!! Low 1 seems like med of the Greenway. Great heat. Open cathederal ceiling floor plan. Left it on low 1 all last night with temp avg 42 degrees. 69 in house.

Just got a few bags of L& G and Big Heat, which I'll try today and through the weekend. Mixed the Greenway with the Cleanfire,
burned ok sort of but flame was an up and down situation.

Final thought. Stove works fine, I love it. Keeping the Greenway for an emg reserve and will burn on weekends or shoulder days just to get rid of them. Really never though pellets could be sooooo different. Cleanfire so far is for the cold winter and would buy again!
Just my opinion!

I too am a newbie. We've had similar experience with our stove. We were given Pacific Northwest pellets with our installation and we can't seem to get them to burn lower than level 4 on our new empress insert. Be bought a few bags of some barefoots and they put out much more heat and we can turn them down much lower. They burn hotter on level 3 than Pacific Northwest burns on level 5. Also we have to push the damper all the way closed with the pacific northwest or it won't burn on the 4 setting. My understanding is that the flame should be good and bright all the time to get the maximum heat out of the pellets. If we push it lower than setting 4 no matter where the damper is , it just smoulders and fills the house with smoke. Glad to hear the cleanfires burn well, because we ordered 2 tons of those a couple of weeks ago and are still waiting for delivery. We're aiming to use the insert to heat our whole house, the part we use anyway, and don't think pellets like the northwest would do the job in the coldest weather. Already though with it being in the 30's outside, the house is kept at 72 with the empress which is much better than last year where we kept the house at 62 all the time to try to save oil. Got the tank topped off today just in case. Thought it had dropped to $280 locally but we got charged $3.10/gallon. Much better than last year but hoping not to turn it on at all this year!

phil san said:
Yes - problems. They S -- ck!

Mixed the Greenway with the Cleanfire,
burned ok sort of but flame was an up and down situation.

Phil, what % did you mix the Greenways with the Cleanfire? If it was me, I'd do 75% Cleanfire, 25% Greenway. You can then slowly get rid of the Greenway's w/o messing up your stove settings too much.

The other option (if you find that you like those other pellets and can get them), is to advertise the Greenways for sale, and get rid of them for a few bucks less than you paid for them.

just my 2 cents

Did a 50/50 so I'll try the 25/75 cleanfire. That should get rid of the. Don't want the hastle of trying to sell or whatever. Plan on burning pellets for a long time so they are there in case of a shortgae.

BTY - cleanfire ALSO seems to last longer by a few hours. I don't know pellets - but what I do know is wood burns at diff temps , quicker and slower etc. depending on the type.

Cleanfire are 20% SOFT - 80 HARD. wHAT i DO KNOW IS THE GREENWAY DON'T throw the heat or burn as I thought a pellet should burn - enough to make me feel the stove was useless.

I picked up three tons of Greenway pellets last year and they where very light in color with lots of fins plus several long pellets. They did burn hot but had to sift each bag to keep out the fins and my stove would shut down at night because they would bridge in the hopper and would not drop into the auger. I still have under a ton left and will burn on weekends and mix with the Hardwood Heat that I picked up from TCS.

Here's what it says on the pelletsales website about Greenway:

"Although Greenway is a relatively new producer of wood pellet fuels, we have had extremely positive feedback on the quality of their product from our initial purchasers"

Phil,

I was in the same boat as you.
No one had pellets in late August/early Sept. except pelletsales.

Everyone said to get hardwood so I clicked on the Greenway.
I'm waiting for the delivery now. Should be here in a couple of hours.

Maybe they've improved them.

Here on the east coast it appears to be thinner than everywhere else. I called around yesterday as I have one ton Maine Woods, one ton of softwood coming Sat (was initially intended for this Thursday) and another to of softs due in on the 6th nov.
pelletsales.com has been our of everything but granules LG for over two months (I jst looked at the sorry, we sold out email when I ordered) and the Granules LG has had a due in two weeks notice for a month. I did an extensice call around on Tuesday to see who had what. None of the big chains had anything. The only Lowes that had anything was Bedfor NH (hour drive from here). Home Depot seabrook has no clue, North Hampton is taking orders and they are three truckloads presold. No idea on arrival ETA (sometimes we get three trucks in a day and sometimes we dont see a truck for three months) Sams club in Manchester NH has some but I know someone that bought a ton there and i'd be better off hitting the pile under the tablesaw (dust)
Check your local true value hardware, they oddly enough all seem to have pellets in stock

I just put up a new thread about my problems.

I think most of them are due to these lousy Greenway pellets.

Anyone else out there using them?

Status
Not open for further replies.