1st Sweep one month with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is a pain to clean as the burn tubes and baffles all have to come out. If my next cleaning is like the last one, all light fluffy soot I am going to try sweeping the chimney with the baffles in place. Then I will rig up something with my shop vac to blow the soot back out the chimney. It was so light it was blowing out of the can I put it in to take it outside, it was actually lighter than ash. Hopefully that will eliminate the need to remove the baffles.

Honestly I have to wonder how some people can say that their stove makes nearly no creosote.

After burning for around 2 months I had about 2 cups that came out of my chimney and I was thinking it was quite a bit.

I was talking to my Dad about it, and he gets about 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 gal pail each time he cleans (does it roughly 3x a year which is about 1x for each cord)
Homemade stove and a 6" brick with liner chimney. Wood is very well seasoned, like the stuff he is burning this year was split and stacked 6 or 7 years ago.

burleymike said:
Mine is a pain to clean as the burn tubes and baffles all have to come out. If my next cleaning is like the last one, all light fluffy soot I am going to try sweeping the chimney with the baffles in place. Then I will rig up something with my shop vac to blow the soot back out the chimney. It was so light it was blowing out of the can I put it in to take it outside, it was actually lighter than ash. Hopefully that will eliminate the need to remove the baffles.

Why not rig up a duct taped flexible rubber hose or something to your shop vac and suck the stuff out by sticking it up and over the baffle rather than blowing it all over?

If you do this, just be careful not to damage a baffle w/ the brush.

pen

In the manual they say to avoid breathing fibers from the ceramic blanket that is up there, I don't feel comfortable using the vacuum on it in the house with small kids. The other reason is I don't want to tear up the ceramic blanket which is another reason I don't like taking the baffles out. Hopefully I can get all the stuff out by blowing it up the chimney. If all else fails I will buy a long length of 2" hose and vacuum it from the top down. I really wish this stove had a bypass damper like my old cat stove, it made cleaning the chimney every two weeks less of a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.