1st year, what have you learned.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
This is my first year heating with wood and I already have learned a couple of things.

I am learning how to control the air intake to burn more how I want it to burn.

I am also finding out the smaller splits are better than larger ones. The smaller ones allow me more options to stuff the fire box for over night burn. the larger ones don't pack as nice.

Anyone else have any cool tricks they have learned that may not be no brainers like, don't burn down your house.

Make sure your wood last a full season or two ;-)

I have learned that when it isn't as cold outside, you can't close the primary as much or you will spend an hour cleaning the glass.

So far I've learned that the old Vigilant I bought will provide over 7 hours of burn time over night. Which is nice.

I've learned that the wood stove takes the dampness out of the house, another plus. The past four days have been mid 30s at night and mid 50s during the day, which has been perfect weather to test the stove and figure out the ins and outs of setting up temperature and burn times. Normally I would have been using oil heating the past four days, but even with just one stove at one end of the house it I have noticed a difference and haven't needed to run the boiler.

The past week I have gotten better and altering the temperature with greater detail.

The old stove isn't as efficient as a new one, but I definitely feel I am getting the most bang for my buck.

It's not my first year, but I've learned that I know practically nothing! If you don't believe me, ask my wife!

CT-Mike, that glass just might clean itself once you are able to burn bigger fires.

I've learned...

...Burn in loads, and let each burn cycle progress.

...I won't have a nice pretty fire burning all the time (there is a LOT of energy left in the coals once the flames die out!).

...Don't mess with the fire!! Just let it burn!!

...How to load the stove so that I don't have to move things around.

...The temperature range in the house will vary widely compared to propane/gas heat.

...There will always be a dog in my way, laying on the the floor in front of the stove when it is time to reload.

-SF

What have I learned? Geez, what haven't I learned! A year ago, I didn't know nuttin'.

I've learned that the three most important things for using a wood stove are, in order of importance:

1. The firewood has to be thoroughly seasoned.

2. The firewood has to be thoroughly seasoned.

3. The firewood has to be thoroughly seasoned.

Everything after that is just details.

SlyFerret said:
I've learned...

...Burn in loads, and let each burn cycle progress.

...I won't have a nice pretty fire burning all the time (there is a LOT of energy left in the coals once the flames die out!).

...Don't mess with the fire!! Just let it burn!!

...How to load the stove so that I don't have to move things around.

...The temperature range in the house will vary widely compared to propane/gas heat.

...There will always be a dog in my way, laying on the the floor in front of the stove when it is time to reload.

-SF

What do you mean by "burn in loads and let each burn cycle progress". I'm assuming you mean you don't throw in a log here and there but you put in a full load and let it burn down before you add anymore. Is that what you mean?

My stove seems to attract cats.

I've learned that most people don't think about gathering wood until the fall.

I scored many good free wood deals on craigslist over the Summer.

BrowningBAR said:
What do you mean by "burn in loads and let each burn cycle progress". I'm assuming you mean you don't throw in a log here and there but you put in a full load and let it burn down before you add anymore. Is that what you mean?

My stove seems to attract cats.

Yup, that is it exactly!

I've found that throwing a split or two in at a time to keep the fire burning constantly does a few things:

It can lead to smoke escaping into the room. While I have decent draft, and the stove doesn't belch smoke into the room when I open the door, I still have some smoke escape. Enough that I can smell it for a little while. Every once in a while isn't a problem, but I'm really trying to avoid having my house smell like smoke. I want guests to notice the beautiful stove and cozy warmth, not the smokey smell.

It greatly increases your chances of burning all the hair off of your forearms (or worse!)

It also tends to cause the buildup of a much thicker coal bed than you need, which can make ash removal difficult, and can also lead to a stove that wants to burn too aggressively when you do finally load it up with a full load for the overnight.

Burning in loads seems to give me a cleaner burn. For example, my 30 really wants to run at 500-600 degrees, and burns cleanest in that range. I would overheat my house by maintaining a temperature like throughout the entire day (heating the house too warm wastes fuel that might be needed later in the season). If I were to try and maintain a lower temperature so as not to overheat the house, my stove would not operate as cleanly.

-SF

I've learned that it's OK to go to bed while the fires of Hell are burning in a metal box in my livingroom. Eventually, I might even be able to sleep.

:gulp:

Jonny B.

I put new batterys in the smoke alarm and still did not sleep well.

I did, as well, in all three of them. I moved the main floor one to the stairs so we'd hear it in case the upstairs one malfunctions. The biggest mistake I made was testing it on the way to bed with the kids. My 5-year-old was NOT amused, and was actually pretty freaked out about the whole thing.

Note to self: Test the smoke detectors in the MORNING, not at bedtime!

I've learned that I need to split wood smaller for next year's woodpile.

I've learned that I want a woodshed . . . and I haven't even had to deal with brushing the snow off the woodpiles yet.

I've learned that pines, fir and spruce are not evil and in fact burn quite well in a fire.

I've learned that it's perfectly normal to admire your woodpile . . . talk to your woodpile . . . lust after your neighbor's woodpile or get a small adrenaline rush when you see a stack of wood beside the road that has a "free" sign on it.

I've learned that ferrets are truly the best and most effective way to clean chimneys.

I've learned that cutting wood in the Summer and considering it seasoned for the Fall just doesn't quite cut it . . . pun intended.

I've learned that I have to re-educate my wife on how to burn effectively . . . since she still insists on putting sopping, wet, rotten wood into the firebox even though I tell her that it makes the glass blacken up and is making a whole lot of creosote.

I've learned that I have to re-educate myself and learn how to use the stove more effectively by burning in cycles rather than throwing on a split or round every half hour.

I've learned that hearth.com is a wonderful place to learn how to build a hearth, select a woodstove and solve the world's crisis in a single afternoon.

I've learned . . . or rather remembered . . . why I liked heating with wood . . . the warmth is incomparable, the sights/sounds/smells is intoxicating, working outdoors on a crisp fall afternoon is invigorating and knowing that you will be reaping the benefits of this work in middle of winter instead of paying an oil bill is truly priceless.

author="SlyFerret" date="1224702430"]I've learned...

I used to have one of those dogs. I've got a new yellow lab pup and he wants NOTHING to do with anything over 60F. Hell, he'll be outside walking in only shady areas (not ghetto type shady). He just doesn't like the heat. Gunna be a rough winter for him me thinks.

woodconvert said:
author="SlyFerret" date="1224702430"]I've learned...

I used to have one of those dogs. I've got a new yellow lab pup and he wants NOTHING to do with anything over 60F. Hell, he'll be outside walking in only shady areas (not ghetto type shady). He just doesn't like the heat. Gunna be a rough winter for him me thinks.

Ghetto type shady?

Woodconvert - I understand, I have a collie and as soon as she sees me with a piece of wood, she wants OUT! At least the cat stays by my side and watches the flames!

I have learned that everyone buying a stove should come on these forums for at least a week before lighting their first fire and should preferably have to pass an exam to own one….also I have realised that there is much more going on in your firebox than the TV and it is much more interesting to watch.

SlyFerret said:
Burning in loads seems to give me a cleaner burn. For example, my 30 really wants to run at 500-600 degrees, and burns cleanest in that range. I would overheat my house by maintaining a temperature like throughout the entire day (heating the house too warm wastes fuel that might be needed later in the season). If I were to try and maintain a lower temperature so as not to overheat the house, my stove would not operate as cleanly.

-SF

I've already seen a big difference between throwing on a piece or two and loading it up. If I load it up the stove will burn for 6-8 hours with four or five logs. If I throw in a log or two at a time I burn through wood much quicker and will use two to three times the wood in the same time period.

Oh yeah... I've also learned that I need to get a TV and laptop for the stove room now.

-SF

Ive learned that more than the red heeler my 6 month old boy likes to watch the stove from the other room more than the tv???? Future fire stoker>>>???
Ive learned that seasoned elm is great shoulder wood compared to oak or Hedge>>>
Ive learned that during hard rain I need to put more tare around my boot or more Rtv around my storm collar man its raining like hell here but its so warm by the stove the water dries before it hits the floor
Ive learned that it sux having the house 96 degrees when you are trying to go to sleep!!!
Ive learned my wife doesnt like to clean up the mess from wood burning so I had to learn how to use a broom and dust pan!!!!!!!!

And most of all.....
Ive learned Not all good things in life come easy!! So work your ass off and stay warm!!!!

Justin

I have learned:

- Since I only burn after work, my new Craftsbury stove starts off in a cold state and takes a while for it to warm up.
- I should burn a small fire in a cold stove and let the stove warm up some and draft get established before adding any larger splits.
- Yes, when the fire is started, there may be some smoke in the firebox, but if I leave it alone, it all goes away.
- If I take something to prop up one end of the splits so that air can easily travel under them from front to back, I weill get a more efficient fire.
- Secondary burns are amazing to watch.
- The fire wash that cleans the glass seems to miss the outside edges of the glass.
- Splitting firewood with a splitting axe or wedge is great stress relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.