2 - 90* Elbows and "T" - Granite Hearth Pic Too!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoates

Aug 12, 2008
Ulster County - NY
Hi All,

I am in process of getting Jotul Oslo Blue-Black, installed into exsisting 8X8 ceramic Flu, but Relining to 6" SS.

I will need to use 2 - 90* back to back into Thimble and "T" up chimney.

What is the recommended length from T to top of Flue?

I have read here that for every 90 you loose 5 ft. My existing chimney is approx 17 ft from current T.

See Pic of Hearth, a friend of mine installs Granite Tile and Counter tops and had some extra laying around.

We just love the Hearth, Cant wait to get stove on it , I had one years ago but had Chimney Fire.

Also if anyone has any Ideas how to remove the Black creosole from the bricks , I tried everything.

Thanks again,

Don

Attachments

• P8120059.JPG
    P8120059.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 609
Have you tried white vinegar, I have heard that works well

If not what about acid washing them with muriatic acid. That is strong stuff.

There is also a masonry product cleaner called Vanitrol That is a supposed to be better for the brick but along the same lines as muriatic acid. Maybe call a brickyard and ask them.

Cool hearth. The granite tile looks really nice. It is too close to soapstone to use under a soapstone stove but will be great with black iron.

Thanks All,

Any thoughts on the chimney Height with 2 90's and T.

Ill be sure to post pics when complete.

Don

I'm wondering if you could top exit from the stove into a 45, then connector pipe, then another 45 into the liner tee. The stove 45 would need to be pointing diagonally toward the chimney. That would help a lot if you can do it.

For the stains, have you tried TSP?

Unfortunutly has to be rear exit, The thimble is approx 28" from hearth the Olso top of rear is about the same height, The last stove I had here years ago Scandia was 8" S curve into thimble.

What is TSP?

Thanks

I notice a couple of things that may be problematic.

One is the combination of pipe to get to the thimble. It seems to be a lot of ells.

Secondly is the pipe will push the stove out closer to the front of hearth and minimize the amount of required hearth space in front of the stove door. I think you need 18" from the front of the glass. Once you put the pipe on the rear exit of the stove you will probably end up pushing that thing 16" - 18" away from the wall. The depth of the stove is about 20"-22", so that would put the stove basically at the front edge of the hearth.

Since you are re-lining the chimney, why not cut another hole higher up for the thimble and then top vent the stove? It seems to me that would help eliminate your issues and give you almost a straight shot out of the stove.

Just a thought. I think you could cut the hole and install everything in a day. Maybe a day and a half if you're pokey.

J.P.

If I go straight out top I will still need 45 to a 90, The Flue is offset to the Right of my hearth, Id like to keep Stove in the middle.

If the S out the back will work with out cutting new thimble in will is still function OK or will I realy have issues?

Thanks Again

Don,

Are you going to have the installation inspected?

If so you will need to measure how far the "S" configuration will push the stove foreward on the hearth pad. You will need 18" in front of the glass of hearth. Rugs don't count, however you could put a stove board there.

I have the same stove as you and mine vents straight out of the top with no bends and I have 10' of double wall chimney and about 6' of double wall stove pipe. No draft problems here but I am basically at the minimum height requirement according to the Jotul manual.

I think for you the little bit of extra work would be better since it will keep the stove back further on the hearth without having to modify the existing granite.

Plus the 45 coming off the top to the 90 into the thimble is all up hill as opposed to the horizontal "S" type installation you are considering.

Are you able to cut a hole in the wall in order to raise up the thimble?

J.P.

Edit: I can't say for sure if you will have drafting issues but If you have less than ideal wood or some warmer days when you are burning then I think you may get some smoke spillage when starting up or when reloading. However hearth protection is also an issue if you plan on having an inspection.

As far as the bricks are concerned, it would of looked good to cover them with granite. Good luck with your project.

Does anyone know how far out 2- 90* together would push stove out away for wall?

What if I go with 45* and a 90* staight out back how far would that push out.

Thanks

Well , my new Oslo is complety installed, it looks great just need some break in.

Bring on the Cold weather.

Thanks

Don

Attachments

• 125.JPG
    125.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 321
Donc said:
Well , my new Oslo is complety installed, it looks great just need some break in.

Bring on the Cold weather.

Thanks

Don

Looks awesome. The scale of the pics without the stove on the granite pad was deceiving. Now it looks as if you have plenty of clearance to the front...the bends in the connector didn't seem to push it out too far at all.

Let us know how the break in fires go... Looks great!! 8

Looks good. That thing is gonna kick out the heat. You'll enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.