2 Case 446 Garden Tractors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thisoldgoat

Burning Hunk
Dec 26, 2017
Rice County MN
I may be taking a look at a package deal: 2 complete tractors with Onan engines, neither is running, 2 mower decks, a front blade and a snowblower. Reseller knows nothing about why they are not running so the engines may need to be repaired/rebuilt or a perhaps a transplant would be an option. Is the $1k asking price within the realm of reason?

I may be taking a look at a package deal: 2 complete tractors with Onan engines, neither is running, 2 mower decks, a front blade and a snowblower. Reseller knows nothing about why they are not running so the engines may need to be repaired/rebuilt or a perhaps a transplant would be an option. Is the $1k asking price within the realm of reason?

Yes. They bring good money around here. Assuming they aren't beat to death, I'd take a swing at that price.

Reactions: thisoldgoat
I pulled the lever for $900. I only noticed now while processing the photos that only one has a spin on oil filter; perhaps because that tractor is a year newer (1980) than the other. Seller said one has no spark, hence the reason it is partially disassembled. Those big drive wheels though, I'm liking that.

case446a.JPG case446b.JPG

Reactions: duramaxman05
Nice..that should keep you busy for some time..

That's a lot of desirable parts. Those tractors and accessories bring good money, lots of collectors.

Around here, that snowblower and carriage would cost your right around what you just paid for everything.

Looks like a great deal! Repowering is probably the most straight forward option for future parts availability.

Looks like a great deal! Repowering is probably the most straight forward option for future parts availability.
I've looked briefly at repower kits; not anxious to spend that much money yet. I'll see what's wrong with the Onans first I guess, then go from there. I wonder if anyone makes a hardware only kit, allowing one to source a good used engine locally.

Nice find . I have a large off-brand garden tractor collection and I recently picked up this Case 446 . and now have another one and a CAT 0 3pt hitch , 54in snow blade and mower deck . it needs some wheel weights. The Hydraulic driven Case sure is a different bread to get use to .

case wood.jpg

Onans are very expensive. Great old school motors. I upgraded my b48G for a yammer diesel a few years ago. You may have room for a diesel.

Nice find . I have a large off-brand garden tractor collection and I recently picked up this Case 446 . and now have another one and a CAT 0 3pt hitch , 54in snow blade and mower deck . it needs some wheel weights. The Hydraulic driven Case sure is a different bread to get use to .

View attachment 296867
I'm on the lookout for wheel weights myself. I cobbled together makeshift weights from brake rotors but they are not very heavy.
1657335731213.png

Reactions: perry
Onans are very expensive. Great old school motors. I upgraded my b48G for a yammer diesel a few years ago. You may have room for a diesel.
I've heard that they are expensive. I lucked out, got this one running once I chased the mice out. As it turns out, the other 446 has the Linamar engine (Onan clone, I believe). I haven't had time to see if that one runs. That one has the longer frame, should be easier for this old guy to mount/dismount.

Reactions: perry
I've heard that they are expensive. I lucked out, got this one running once I chased the mice out. As it turns out, the other 446 has the Linamar engine (Onan clone, I believe). I haven't had time to see if that one runs. That one has the longer frame, should be easier for this old guy to mount/dismount.
I believe Linamar bought Onan at some point. Probably should de-carbon the heads. At the very least google the engine model for appropriate maintenance.

On an Onan, if it ever starts running kind of erratic, meaning won't tune at idle runs bad at all rpm ranges, check the intake manifold. They are 2 pieces glued together and over time the glue or what ever they use will start disintegrate causing an air leak. Had a john deere 318 and an old simplicity do that.

You did well. I never followed Case, but I've sold individual vintage Cub Cadets for more than you paid for this pair, with implements.

My favorite thing to do with vintage garden tractors is to just mechanically (but not cosmetically) restore, and continue to use/abuse them as they were intended. This usually means all new lights, key switch and accessory switches, replacing the inevitable ripped seat. and the usually worn-out hydro linkage, as well as re-adjusting the governor, new fluids and filters, and occasionally a head scraping and gasket, but often not much else. It's never been about the money, but every one I've ever owned has been eventually re-sold for more than I paid for it, thanks to everything actually working when I'm selling them.

I've looked briefly at repower kits; not anxious to spend that much money yet. I'll see what's wrong with the Onans first I guess, then go from there. I wonder if anyone makes a hardware only ki
I've looked briefly at repower kits; not anxious to spend that much money yet. I'll see what's wrong with the Onans first I guess, then go from there. I wonder if anyone makes a hardware only kit, allowing one to source a good used engine locally.

Intake leak is a common problem with these . just scrap off the old sealer and apply new around the outside -