2 questions on cleaning liner above insert and flue temps.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
OK. My insert is installed in a centrally located chimney that was open on both sides. Insert is now on living room side - kitchen side still open, so I have access to the liner and collar. What is the best way to go about cleaning this liner? Should I just disconnect the liner from the stove collar, and insert a pan in-between to catch dust while I clean from above? Or is there another way that I'm not thinking of? What do people do that DON'T have access to the back of their inserts? I cant see just letting all that nasty 'sote drop into the top of my stove, and I dont want to disconnect the secondary burn tubes if I dont absolulely have to(hope they never go bad, heard theyre a groan to get out).
Also- flue surface temps. As i've said,I have plenty of access thru the back of my insert , so I took some readings with an infa-red gauge and found that while the stove was burning hot on a fresh re-fuel, the temps on the liner just above the stove were in the low-mid 400's. When cutting back on the air and slowing the burn, the temps dropped alot to mid-high 100's. Now, this is NOT a flue GAS temp, just the liner surface temp. The stove is working great so I have to assume this is normal, but Im just not too sure about the technical aspects of the flue temps. Any advice on cleaning and the liner temps? Thanks,all, in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.