temperature monitoring wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brownclown

Sep 8, 2023
10512, NY
I have been reading on the various magnetic,probe and laser thermometers but am still confused . This is my first wood burning appliance so want to do things right. i have the blue ridge 500I insert. i am running it open without the surround so have some access . However, I only have about 3 inches from the top of the stove to my block off plate. i can only access a very small portion of the SBI liner hook up adapter. Are people drilling holes into these and putting the probe inside their flues or flue adapters? all the pictures i found were for free standing stoves. i am really confused how and where to use the probe. it seems that monitoring flue temps is more important then the stove top. i can also use a magnetic on the exposed portion of the stove but other then that 5 in area most of the insert is surround by a shield. Also , i see the Auber probe mentioned as the preferred device for monitoring but other then a 6inh probe i am not sure what else i would need if i go that route.

Yes, the liner adapter is one location that some measure from. The temperature will read higher than the typical18" above the stovepipe, but it will provide relative guidance.
How tall is the liner on the stove?
One thing to decide with the Auber is whether remote monitoring is an important feature or not. Is the insert in a location that is in the main part of the house where the temp reading will frequently and easily be seen or is it in a remote wing or basement?

I drilled for the damper on my insert too! At200 or the wireless less version are really good as you can set a high temp alarm.

image.jpg

drolet-liner-fixation-system-ac02006-39.jpg

i am using this piece. So i would drill through this? How does hot smoke not escape? this may be a next year project. i just got stove situated and dont believe i have enough room to fit a drill. i reallly dont want to pull the insert again. in the mean time would a laser be a better option? or is there something to attach to outside instead of drilling. drilling scares me. Are the at200 the only one for a high temp alarm? I dont need wireless as my stove in main living area but an alarm sounds very useful.

The probe hole is small. It could have a #10 or 12 sheet metal screw in it as a temporary plug. In lieu of the probe, a flat, washer style probe sensor could be attached by screwing it to the outside of the adapter. This could be done with a single #10 screw, but it will still need the hole made in advance. Draft keeps the liner under vacuum so no smoke leaks out unless the insert is located in a negative pressure zone of the house.

Auber also sells a strong magnet sensor that they say is ok for high temp. If that is the choice, test with a magnet first to make sure it sticks to the adapter. The single station AT100 also has the alarm. The AT200 has a wireless clone unit added. Using a hand held laser is also ok if that is preferable.

Reactions: brownclown
The probe hole is small. It could have a #10 or 12 sheet metal screw in it as a temporary plug. In lieu of the probe, a flat, washer style probe sensor could be attached by screwing it to the outside of the adapter. This could be done with a single #10 screw, but it will still need the hole made in advance. Draft keeps the liner under vacuum so no smoke leaks out unless the insert is located in a negative pressure zone of the house.

Auber also sells a strong magnet sensor that they say is ok for high temp. If that is the choice, test with a magnet first to make sure it sticks to the adapter. The single station AT100 also has the alarm. The AT200 has a wireless clone unit added. Using a hand held laser is also ok if that is preferable.
Thanks for description. From Ebs- p's picture it looked closer to half inch/inch. i suspect magnet wont stick but dont know grade of stainless used. I don't have a problem with small hole. I am just nervous drilling holes in new things , especially things i am not familiar with. also thought the hole was much bigger and wouldnt be repairable if i messed up.

Is there any preferred handheld laser or any amazon special will work? would one of those magnetic stove top ones be of any benefit on an insert like mine which has only small protruding portion?

Thanks for description. From Ebs- p's picture it looked closer to half inch/inch. i suspect magnet wont stick but dont know grade of stainless used. I don't have a problem with small hole. I am just nervous drilling holes in new things , especially things i am not familiar with. also thought the hole was much bigger and wouldnt be repairable if i messed up.

Is there any preferred handheld laser or any amazon special will work? would one of those magnetic stove top ones be of any benefit on an insert like mine which has only small protruding portion?
Get an IR temp gun that goes over 900 degrees. Any one of them with decent ratings will be fine.

You can tuck the washer probe sensor in between the liner and appliance adapter. It doesn't have to be drilled in, I used it successfully that way for a couple seasons. You will figure out your temp ranges and I would set your max temp alarm at whatever is a hundred degrees higher than your max usual start up temps are.

You can tuck the washer probe sensor in between the liner and appliance adapter. It doesn't have to be drilled in, I used it successfully that way for a couple seasons. You will figure out your temp ranges and I would set your max temp alarm at whatever is a hundred degrees higher than your max usual start up temps are.

Yes, a washer thermocouple would also work. Unfortunately, this liner adapter does not have a band clamp. It calls for screwing into the liner, something I prefer not to do, but one of those screws could also retain the washer. Or better yet, attach this adapter to an elbow or straight connector with a band clamp to secure the liner if room. Then the washer can be inserted under the band before it is tightened.

Reactions: EbS-P
I think the washer type with a band is my best option.

Looking at aubers site the have the at100 and the at100tc. It looks like need the tc version because the female might I plug option. Is that correct?

The AT100 is just the display unit. The AT100TC is the display unit with a probe thermocouple. If you want a washer thermocouple instead the probe then I think you will need to order the AT100 and the TC-K-WS washer thermocouple. Ask Auber if the washer probe needs a different calibration setting and if it the plug is polarized for the thermocouple.

I think the washer type with a band is my best option.

Looking at aubers site the have the at100 and the at100tc. It looks like need the tc version because the female might I plug option. Is that correct?
If you get the AT200 you can chose the washer from the order page. Not sure what the price difference is but it come with the K type polarized plug. I have the washer on my stove. I have a probe waiting to replace it but I’m still waiting for the hole to drill itself. Two full winters and it hasn’t happened.