2 small wood stoves into 1 pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cabinscout

Dec 2, 2021
Northwest
I have two woodstoves that I would like to vent together. I will only use one at a time.

They have an independent chimney. It is clay pipe lined. Currently I’m only running the fisher baby bear into the chimney at a 45’ angle with a 90’ into the chimney.

I’d like to replace the 90’ coming out of the brick with with a T … the. Run the baby bear
Straight into the bottom of the T and then attach the small cooking stove with a 90 into the other arm of the T.

Can I do this safely if I only use one stove at a time? Or is it possible to even use both stoves at a time?

E00876FB-4B72-4F44-A1F1-A56E49F2E43C.jpeg 3DD0196C-28FC-4FB7-BBF5-B20168F367EB.jpeg EBAB85DF-F574-47B4-9056-026134871B5B.jpeg B362DA78-D2B5-4DA2-A538-3A4EC753D9F0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Connecting both to one flue would be against code and a sure way to void insurance coverage if anything went wrong. It would be better to have one stove that provides the range of heat desired.

Does the fireplace have a separate flue?

That would be against code and a sure way to void insurance coverage if anything went wrong. It would be better to have one stove that provides the range of heat desired.
Thank you. I figured it probably wasn’t up to modern code, but curious if in the fall/spring I used the “small cooktop” and then in the winter I use the larger wood stove. I wouldn’t use them together.
The older cook stove sits below the chimney in the kitchen… and the wood stove is sitting on the side of chimney closer to the main living area. I was thinking I could easily just swap the piping in the winter.

A5FFD6FE-C3C9-41D2-B309-4B6835C604F9.jpeg

Swapping the pipe from one stove to the other would be ok. Sharing a common flue is not.

Reactions: Cabinscout
That is probably the best option.
I can build “2 separate pipes” and just swap them out seasonally. My plan is eventually to install a large fireplace insert and just keep the smaller kitchen stove.

Reactions: EbS-P
There are good code reasons for one stove for flue. The home I got my wood boiler from recently had an oil boiler, the wood boiler and a wood stove hooked to the same flue. This was commonplace in the past but so were far more house fires. Some folks do have two wood stoves, one for shoulder seasons and one for cold season. They leave the stoves in place and have two stovespipes that they swap over.

Stoves rarely are combustible so having two stoves does not take up that much more room as they unused one can sit in the clearances.