2 year parts a labor warranty on Harmon 52i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahdi

Sep 2, 2014
RI
Is a 2 year parts a labor warranty on Harmon 52i really necessary? I mean one given by the dealer/installer. If so, what would you guess it would be worth? A local dealer includes this in their price. Their price is higher than the other dealers in the area. They said that Harman like other large companies tries to blame breakdowns on user error. Your thoughts? thanks

So far for me, with a p38, burned less then a ton of pellets, it's been worth 3 ESP's. The first one was junk right from the factory. Got the code as soon as I turned it on for the first time. Harman has a great reputation, but things do go wrong.

Profilebrewing, I'm sure I'm the only one on this forum that doesn't know what an "ESP" is, nevermind 3 of them. LOL. I'm a newbie with pellet stoves. Harman still offers their warranty. I'm trying to figure out what the secondary one would be worth. Thanks

seems like a cleaver sales pitch attempting to differentiate one company from another, the fact is most dealers want to do the right thing and take care of there customers, and hht is pretty good about warranty issues provided that there is proper paper work to go along with a claim

Reactions: Tahdi
seems like a cleaver sales pitch attempting to differentiate one company from another, the fact is most dealers want to do the right thing and take care of there customers, and hht is pretty good about warranty issues provided that there is proper paper work to go along with a claim

The dealer with the warranty said that the other dealer doesn't have their own installers and service tech's. I'll be checking on that tomorrow. I would be a little surprised if an authorized dealer wasn't required by Harman to have certified techs.

I think the labour warranty is a really valuable inclusion if you are not competent to repair the stove yourself. Also you can have the dealer back to show you how to keep the stove going properly after a full season. If they are offering a reasonable price then it is a good idea.

It's a 500.00 difference. They are also including the first cleaning, which they value at 179.00. Not sure if that is a legit price or inflated.

Does seem a little steep but the point remains that if you are not confident it will give you peace of mind and what is that worth?

My only concern would be pulling the insert out of the fireplace. I work in HVAC and have a friend that is awesome with a meter. Pellet stoves are a new thing for me. I probably wouldn't give it as much thought if I were looking a free standing units. Trying to figure out the best plan. As we all know, sometimes time is more important than a little cash. Sometimes, it's just the opposite. thanks for the replies!

Pulling that insert shouldn't be bad I believe it has service rails.

A lot of shops do not have installers or techs. Hadn't considered th a in my first reply as both our shop and all of our competitors do have both.

The cleaning price is high for my area can't speak to the pricing in yours

Reactions: Tahdi
I would be a little surprised if an authorized dealer wasn't required by Harman to have certified techs.

Yeah I would be curious about that myself. Sounds like a dealer saying that he ain't gonna do warranty work for the chump change the manufacturer pays him for it so he wants you to cover the tab, in advance.

Reactions: Tahdi and hwdemers
Pulling that insert shouldn't be bad I believe it has service rails.

A lot of shops do not have installers or techs. Hadn't considered th a in my first reply as both our shop and all of our competitors do have both.

The cleaning price is high for my area can't speak to the pricing in yours

Thanks for the insight!

Yeah I would be curious about that myself. Sounds like a dealer saying that he ain't gonna do warranty work for the chump change the manufacturer pays him for it so he wants you to cover the tab, in advance.

They made it sound as though the mfg. tried to make everything seem like user error. If that's how Harman works... maybe another brand would be better. Thanks for your post.

Does seem a little steep but the point remains that if you are not confident it will give you peace of mind and what is that worth?

Peace of mind, yes. Seems a little too close to a car salesman twisting things. I was very happy with how much the staff knew about the stove though.

No dealer likes the reimbursement for warranty work from any stove maker. I don't know of any that cover the travel time, maybe somebody does. And some just toss them the parts. They have to get their money up front in the sale price of the stove and when there is competition that can be hard to do. And then when the stove craps they see that profit shrink pretty fast.

But I walk away from any dealer that bad mouths his competitors. He ain't gonna treat me any better than them. He is selling a hell of a pellet stove and how he supports it, that should be how he sells it.

Status
Not open for further replies.