1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

2 yr old Pine: Worth the Wait

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by NordicSplitter, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I love pine and it is readily available around us. We us it throughout the spring and fall as well as when we need heat fast.

Pete

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cptoneleg

cptoneleg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia

I also have an unlimited supply of mostly Oak-Locust-Cherry-Ash so I don't bring Pine home- shoulder season I burn the Cherry, so thats up to you.
    Bring some home then you will decide for yourself.
  3. cptoneleg

cptoneleg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
  4. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    No, most of it is pitch pine AKA knotty pine, at least here on the Cape. White pine is an awesome fuel, I burn both.
  5. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Yep. Well actually no, I never cut pine, I just allow tree guys to dump it in my yard, as long as it has been cut to stove length first.
    If I didn't get it free though, I would cut some, because once or twice per winter it is so bitterly cold that the amount of oak I need to burn fills the stove with un-consumed coals, till there is no room for any more wood. On those few nights, I mix pine in. The fast burning, hot pine enables the oak coals to burn down.

Until I learned this trick, I suffered ocasionally.