20 inch bar on a MS390?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigg_Redd said:
inevitabLEE said:
MasterMech said:
I've run a MS390 (stock) with Stihl Full Chisel (33RSC72) on a 20" bar. It pulls that with authority. If you wanted to go 24".... I doubt it would have trouble with that and if going full-skip seems too extreme there's always Stihl's half-skip full chisel....
I'm not a fan of big bars and don't use them but this is extremely good advice if using a bigger bar than what is recomended by manufacturer.

Stihl recommends 16"-25" bar on a 390.

Just sayin'

I think we already take those reccomendations with a grain of salt. Right Jay? ;-)

Oh man! They updated the bar reccomendations for the MS880. Used to be a 21" bar, lmao! :lol: Now it's 16-59".

That would be an awesome saw! MS 880 with a 16" bar & 3/8 picco chain. LMAO

inevitabLEE said:
Bigg_Redd said:
inevitabLEE said:
MasterMech said:
I've run a MS390 (stock) with Stihl Full Chisel (33RSC72) on a 20" bar. It pulls that with authority. If you wanted to go 24".... I doubt it would have trouble with that and if going full-skip seems too extreme there's always Stihl's half-skip full chisel....
I'm not a fan of big bars and don't use them but this is extremely good advice if using a bigger bar than what is recomended by manufacturer.

Just sayin'

Uhhhh,,,,, no!
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS391.html

Are we talking about the 390 or 391? They are different saws, and the 390 will run up to a 25" bar per Stihl.

EDIT - It's interesting that the 391 has 14% more displacement that the 291 yet Stihl recommends the same bars.

Bigg_Redd said:
inevitabLEE said:
Bigg_Redd said:
inevitabLEE said:
MasterMech said:

Just sayin'

Uhhhh,,,,, no!
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS391.html

Are we talking about the 390 or 391? They are different saws, and the 390 will run up to a 25" bar per Stihl.

EDIT - It's interesting that the 391 has 14% more displacement that the 291 yet Stihl recommends the same bars.

they need an astrik in there for a 391 w/MM...JMO

*This saw would have to be the poster child for opening up the Muffler.

get a 20 in bar too is my suggestion.

jay mentioned something earlier about the weight being a benefit on this model for running a larger bar.
I never thought about it that way... I always took weight as being a bad thing
:exclaim:

Status
Not open for further replies.