2010-2011 season comes to a close

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NATE379 said:
Yeah I hear you there. Was -3* at my house when I got home from work this morning. It's not too bad during the day with the sunlight, but with the wind that has been blowing it still hasn't been all that warm.

I know I'm ready for the wind to stop. Nuff already.
Chill factor is COLD!

Northwest NJ here. Not done burning yet, but not on the 24-7 regimen like january and February. I'm in full scrounding mode, and scored some monster ash rounds yesterday....36 inchers that were suprisingly easy to roll up the ramp of my trailer. Prolly have enough for 2012-2013 at this point; my plan is to split and stack all of my recent scrounges, count the cords and go from there. I'm really interested to see how wood that has been cut, split and stacked for two years burns, as the stuff I burned this year was one year old.

Still burning here in Maine . . . but things have slowed down somewhat . . . still haven't gone 24 hours without a fire . . . but I've had a few days when I've just lit and reloaded a fire in the morning and a fire in the evening . . . kind of nice . . . my wife is quite happy . . .

We're also still burning in No. California (at 2300' level). Morning and evening temps are in 40's and get up to 60+ during the day. We always get blasted, though, about the time we think Spring is here. Reeks havoc on the fruit trees and plants. I know we'll likely get a little more snow or freezing rain and won't move the wood away from the house...like last year!...until May.

I just say at least it's not that 70-80mph wind like we had earlier this fall. I didn't have the roof on my shed yet and I thought for sure that the walls were going to end up in Wasilla!

bogydave said:
NATE379 said:
Yeah I hear you there. Was -3* at my house when I got home from work this morning. It's not too bad during the day with the sunlight, but with the wind that has been blowing it still hasn't been all that warm.

I know I'm ready for the wind to stop. Nuff already.
Chill factor is COLD!

It was 11 above this morning and we still have around 30 inches of snow on the ground. I'll run my Tarm boiler through late April or so depending on how the weather is.

First blood sucking flying insect (wife excluded) entered my home and I can see green in the front yard. I may be making the central NY announcement soon. Until then, anyone within a sparrow missle range of Syracuse needs to keep burning. (I think thats about 25 miles)

Here it has really been up and down temps. We have seen the upper 50's and down in the 20's at night. Mostly 30's and 40's. So, still burning, although off and on sometimes. When it gets in the 50's during the day I have to let the fire go out and then start it back up in the evening. I could turn on the furnace, but I really wood rather burn wood, so I just burn if the house gets cold. I actually hate to see it end. Especially since I am just about finished with the new stove install in the kitchen and probably will not even get to break it in until next fall :-S

Put my last two logs of the winter in this morning. I am as glad to quit now as I was excited for that first fire in October. With the crazy burn times I got this year burning really good wood in BK I managed to go from mid-October through this morning needing to re-light my stove three times. At this pace most of the case of Super-Cedars I bought will be passed on to my kids when I die.

65 today and 70 tomorrow, but the highs and lows are all over the place for the next week +. Looks like I'll either give up or learn how to start a fire again. Whatever the mood dictates at this point. I'm spending my time getting ready for a fishing trip up in MN this June. Different kind of fishing than my normal worm/softbait shore fishing. Amazing what lure costs. I better catch several hundred dollars worth of fish on this trip, lol.

Patapsco Mike said:
Put my last two logs of the winter in this morning. I am as glad to quit now as I was excited for that first fire in October. With the crazy burn times I got this year burning really good wood in BK I managed to go from mid-October through this morning needing to re-light my stove three times. At this pace most of the case of Super-Cedars I bought will be passed on to my kids when I die.

That is simply outstanding. Which Blaze King do you have, the King or Princess?

Status
Not open for further replies.