2011 F350 6.7 diesel oil change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meneillys

Feeling the Heat
May 5, 2009
Bernhards Bay, NY
I just performed my first oil change on this truck and I have to say nobody thought it out when making the engine. The new plastic oil plug comes out in a way that sprays oil all over then you move to the oil filter that is mounted vertically nice for the fact that it holds oil bad because there is a cavity above the filter so that sprays oil out when you twist it off getting it all over the oil pan. Now its time to fill it! The oil fill tube is near the fire wall and tilted towards the fire wall for added fun. I had to crawl on top of the engine to get to the fill tube so I didn't dump oil all over.
Anyways the main point to this is anyone with this truck and engine some ideas for my next change is. Nitrile gloves for the drain plug. Use a punch to poke a hole in the bottom of the oil filter and let it drain before removing and find a funnel with a long flexible tube for adding the new oil.
So far I love this truck lots of power and good mileage while towing 15 MPG towing 10,500 + lbs 18-19 MPG empty. DEF lasts about 5k and oil change was due at 7k.

Thanks for sharing. This will remind me why I will only own a diesel with an in line 6 cylinder single turbo. %-P
Glad you like your new investment.

north of 60 said:
Thanks for sharing. This will remind me why I will only own a diesel with an in line 6 cylinder single turbo. %-P
Glad you like your new investment.

Bah, the 7.3 diesel is the easiest truck I've ever owned to change oil on. The Vertical filter holds 2 quarts and is easily emptied by poking a hole in the base or you could just remove it, no spray. The steel drain plug (plastic, really?) works prefectly. The engine sits high enough that I slide a 5 gallon bucket under the oil pan to catch it all. The fill is in the front of one of the valve covers very close to the fender. I can't imagine any way to improve the oil changes on this old international engine.

Note that this 6.7 from ford is the first diesel that ford has made for the pickups. All previous engines were by international just like Dodge doesn't make the cummins.

How expensive is it to fill that muffler fluid tank every 5k?

My dream engine for several reasons is the late 5.9 cummins. Ford makes a nicer truck though.

It only costs about $25 to fill the DEF tank.

Bigg_Redd said:
This is what happens when engineers engineer .

I fixed it for ya...

SOME of those "engineers" need to get out from behind the computer and into the field to try and work on some of their piles of garbage.

/rant

I have an 06 6.0 KR and I take the filter out by hand with no tools and flip the lever on the oil drain valve into a 5 gallon bucket and let drain for an hour or so. No mess yet and have about 24k miles with about 15 oil changes.

Glad you like everything else about it though.

pelletnubi said:
I have an 06 6.0 KR and I take the filter out by hand with no tools and flip the lever on the oil drain valve into a 5 gallon bucket and let drain for an hour or so. No mess yet and have about 24k miles with about 15 oil changes.

What's a KR?

I've got the 6.7 cummins and the first change was a little messy. but then I knew what not do do!

Highbeam said:
pelletnubi said:

What's a KR?

King Ranch

PJF1313 said:
Bigg_Redd said:
This is what happens when engineers engineer .

I fixed it for ya...

SOME of those "engineers" need to get out from behind the computer and into the field to try and work on some of their piles of garbage.

/rant

Or the bean counters should allow the engineers to do things that are the most optimal.

The simple easy to service bazillion mile reliability of a diesel pickup is gone. When my '01 Dodge needed an injector pump at 60k, I found somebody to give me what I wanted for it and dumped it. I bought a 10 cylinder Ford and haven't looked back.

We've had some new Freightliners at work, and what a nightmare under the hood. DPF, DEF, EGR, EPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.