2011 Revisited

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
First full year of selling wood profited me with over $2000. Decent amount of money but lots of labor involved. Found my niche in providing cooking/smoking wood as well as heating wood. Buying a 22 ton splitter made the work quite a bit easier, especially the hickory. Been a bit lazy this year, quite a bit behind last year's pace although I processed a couple hundred $ of hickory this weekend.

$2000 is nothing to be scoffed at. Paid for the splitter with some left over.
And you had fun & got good exercise.

I would be interesting though to keep track of time, supplies & fuel to know how much $/hr you pay yourself.
What is the most time cousuming part of processing & selling wood?

I bet it's like when I trapped, I figured it out to be about 35¢ an hour after fuel, traps, supplies, & many hours running the trap line & skinning-fleshing-stretching-drying hides.
It was fun & paid for a fun hobby. Well worth it to me. With today's fuel cost, I'd guess about 10¢ an hour now. :)
If I added in the cost of the snow machine, I lost money :)

One thing about working for yourself like that is you can do it whenever you want to for the most part. There aren't a lot of opportunities like that, usually you have to meet someone else's schedule. That's why I like to cut firewood. Yesterday I had a little time available so I stacked wood for an hour.:cool:

I earned $1,200 making firewood this year. I sold all of it to myself for the price of equivalent propane BTUs. My market is narrow, but the fool I sold it to paid $266/cord and did ALL the work, so I really only need one customer. :p

Congrats on making some money on the side. I love side jobs....tax free cash you don't have to report to the gov't or the wife...I probably make about $750 bucks each summer doing odds and ends stuff. Not a ton of money, but it finances some non-essentials...like taking the family to a ball game or theme park and/or some new tools.

Reactions: jimbom and ScotO
not sure about the 'selling firewood' part, unless I look at it from Lukems' standpoint. But I did make out really well cutting trees for people on the side! Nothing like getting paid to heat your house.....:p

Trying to make dollars from selling wood can be difficult but it also depends a lot on location. Sort of like any business does. Location is one of the big keys to making dollars. Nevertheless, putting up the wood is not easy work, but it can be fun. Hobby.

Did pay for the splitter and a nice little pop gun (AK47 all tricked out with the tactical package)
I found a profitable niche in wood for smokers. (hickory and cherry). Sold to restaurants as well as individuals. Must have sold 30-40 50# feed sacks of wood for $10/bag to coworkers via company clssified ads.

Reactions: ScotO
I thought about doing something like that with camp wood buldles around here.
ahhh well, another dream once I get myself caught up.
chuckie5fingers, At those campfire bundle store prices, I figure my stacks are worth about 10 grand;lol

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We joke, but every time I go to the grocery store or the convenience store/gas station......well I think about it. May be my retirement extra income.==c

Status
Not open for further replies.