2012 - Tax Credit for Biomass Stoves Expires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamInVa

Minister of Fire
Jun 14, 2011
Eastern, Virginia
http://www.forgreenheat.org/incentives/federal.html

The individual tax credit that provided consumers with a 30% tax credit on wood heaters in 2009-2010 and a 10% tax credit in 2011, has now expired completely, as of Jan. 1, 2012. The tax credit was part of section 25C of the tax code. The intent of the 25C provision was to advance home energy-efficiency upgrades by providing a monetary incentive through the tax code. This incentive would help consumers overcome the initial upfront cost of installing high-efficiency technology in their homes. In addition to wood and pellet stoves that were more than 75% efficient, the credit applied to insulation, energy efficient windows, etc.

While the 30% tax credit up to $1,500 was significant, it came at a time of recession, and did not result in the uptick of sales that it could have. In 2012, the pubic was still not in much of a buying mood, and a 10% tax credit was not that much of an incentive. Rather, it more likely gave a benefit to those who would have made the purchase anyway.

There is still a chance that a tax credit could be passed in 2012 and it could even be retroactive to Jan. 1, 2012.

A shame, but I for one do not mourn its passing; using the tax credit required that I subtract any past credits in previous years, so even though I put out nearly $4,000 last year, I couldn't recoup a cent. :mad:

I enjoyed the full benifit and believe it was a good incentive. Made the choice of moving into this arena much easier...

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.